Scratched, dull ceramic tile in shower

Old 03-15-14, 02:29 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scratched, dull ceramic tile in shower

I recently moved into a new place, and the bath/shower tile was covered in limescale. It looked like they hadn't cleaned the tile in years. I tried everything to get it off... CLR, Bar Keeper's Friend, Oxyclean, even sulfamic acid. After lots of chemicals and elbow grease, I managed to get about 90% of it off to reveal the shiny ceramic underneath.

There was still some limescale on a few tiles, so I used a pumice stick to get it off. The pumice stick packaging said it wouldn't scratch ceramic or porcelain. Well, needless to say the tiles I used it on are now covered in lots of little scratches. They aren't deep scratches, but when the light hits the tile they are clearly visible.

I read that brass polisher might help, but it did nothing. I also tried a gel gloss polish, but it did nothing. I even tried some auto scratch remover. I understand that glazed ceramic can't really be polished, but surely there is some way to at least mask the scratches even if its temporary.

When the tile is coated in water, the scratches aren't visible at all. Is there any kind of sealer or clear coat that would adhere to the tile? I really don't want to replace the tiles if there is some other topical solution I could use.

Any advice? Thanks.

Old 03-15-14, 05:59 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Seems like you tried everything. That pumice stone was not a good idea. Only Bon-Ami cleanser will not scratch.
You might try clear coat used for car finishes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: