How to tile an undermount tub in an alcove

Old 03-17-14, 06:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to tile an undermount tub in an alcove

I'm going to be starting my first tiling job but I am lost on how and where to end the tiles and have it look finished. Its a undermount tub in an alcove and will have a granite top. The three surrounding walls will be tiled and the front apron.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-14, 08:55 AM
J
Under mount tub? Where, I don't see an under mount tub. Can you please supply a manufacturer's link with name and model numbers?

Jaz

Old 03-17-14, 09:51 AM
J
Its an american standard evolution tub. I still have to build up the surround so that it is flush with the top of the tub.

Old 03-17-14, 10:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
You say that is an under mount tub and you have a granite slab for the top. I assume you will you be adding supports for the granite? I would tile to the granite like you would a back splash. All the usual tiling do's and don'ts apply like insuring you don't end up with a thin strip of tile on one side.

Old 03-17-14, 10:17 AM
J
yes the granite will be fully supported. I went ahead and infilled the underside of the tub lip with mortar to avoid any flexing issues as well

Old 03-17-14, 10:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Wait until all the dust settles from the granite installation, then do your tile magic. The granite should fit snugly if the granite contractor did his job right, so tiling the walls won't be a problem. Normal installation will apply. Your apron may take some more framing once the granite is installed to give a good flat surface, but you won't really know until then.

Old 03-17-14, 04:36 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
On the apron, the granite needs to account for the thickness of the framing, the cement backer board and the tile and then probably still have an overhang relative to that. Don't short change yourself and leave yourself lacking when you go to install the rest of the tile.

Old 03-19-14, 05:42 AM
J
Leave a space under the first row of tile (using plastic wedges from Home Depot). The space will be filled with silicone caulking instead of grout.

Where the tiled splash ends use bullnose tiles or metal edging (Schluter Systems).

The front can be cement backer board or drywall. Provide access panel(s) for plumbing.

John