Wall tiling help after removal of old tiles

Old 03-20-14, 05:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall tiling help after removal of old tiles

I'm doing a small project in my kitchen which is taking down old tiles on backslash and replacing them. After removal of old tiles I realized that along with the tiles, the first few layers of Sheetrock came off to. It's now just the brown under the first layer and pieces hanging off. Is there something I should do to the walls before tiling or can I just apply the glue to that surface and everything be alright.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-14, 05:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Sheet rock is a layer of gypsum sandwiched between two layers of paper. If you have removed one layer of paper during the demo process, you have compromised the integrity of the sheetrock. The proper thing that I would do is remove the drywall, replace with cement backer board and then tile over that.

Old 03-20-14, 08:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They should have never tiled onto the sheetrock in the first place. +1 on removal and replacement with cement board before tiling. Also, if this is near a sink or water source, I'd seal the transitions with a waterproof membrane (the red stuff) before placing the tiles.
-=Phyber

Old 03-21-14, 04:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
I'm not a tile guy but there shouldn't be any issues with installing a tile backsplash over drywall - it's not considered a wet area. Do you know if you have plaster or drywall? Pics would help us better assess what you have and what needs to be done - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

btw - welcome to the forums!