tile floor

Old 03-23-14, 05:08 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile floor

I am going to tile a 5' by 6' bathroom with 12" by 12" porecelin tile. I have layed 1/2" durock with thinset underneath and used correct screws! now my floor is somehow not level by approximately 1/8". How can i lay my tile level and where do i start? Do i start at highest point and level rest of tile with this point?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Do you mean level or flat? A floor doesn't have to be level for tile...but it needs to be flat.

No expert...but I imagine that 1/8" could be handled with a little bit of extra thinset.

Old 03-23-14, 06:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
And 12 x 12 tile will eat it up. No way to talk you into a smaller tile, is there? Maybe 6x6 to break things up a bit? Your call, my suggestion. As Vic said, flat is more important than level, and thinset works wonders for small irregularities.

Old 03-23-14, 07:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile floor

Floor is flat with the du rock down. Just got out of level for some reason and I don't want my vanity to be off level . I was thinking the extra thinset Would Do The Trick Since Its Not Off By Much But Just Not Sure When To Start With The tile. My thoughts are to start where floor is highest and level all the rest of the tile with this point. Just not sure if there is a better area to start or a trick of the trade for this issue

Old 03-23-14, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Like I said...no expert...but yer plan sounds right to me. You can't skimp on thinset on the high side...but you can add more to the low side. Even if the tile slopes a tiny bit...you can shim the vanity level and cover the shims with trim.