Help with removing cement board from subfloor.

Old 03-25-14, 08:25 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with removing cement board from subfloor.

I am in the process of purchasing a townhome and I am looking to tear up the existing 12" ceramic tile that covers the entire main level... an area close to 600 sq. ft. to make way for laminate flooring. Thinset has been used to bond the tile to the cement backer board, and the backer board has been screwed to the wooden subfloor. There is also some sort of adhesive/mortar bonding the cement board to the wooden subfloor.
What tools will I need. Are there any techniques that would make it easier? Would trying to remove the cement board damage the subfloor? If so, would it be acceptable to repair damage with some sort of floor leveling compound?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 09:15 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You do know laying laminate will lower the property value faster then almost any flooring.
Ever seen an ad in the houses for sale area saying laminate floors throughout?
Bet you have seen some saying hardwood floors throughout.
A whole lot of work and dust to get that old tile and tile board out.
Tile needs to come out first. A impact hammer drill works best. Going to need goggles, knee pads, a bunch of 5 gal. buckets, shop vac.
To get the tile board out, you need to get the screws out first. The screw heads are going to be filled with thin set if it was installed right.
Going to have to use a #2 Phillips head bit and a hammer to drive into the screws to blast out the thin set and most likely an impact drill driver to get the screws out.
Then back to the hammer drill with a wide chisel bit.

Old 03-26-14, 09:43 AM
J
I agree with Joe, it's not gonna be a fun job at all.

Joe mentioned "hammer drill" in one sentence. That was a typo, you don't want a hammer drill. That tool rotates just like a drill, it is a drill. You want a demolition hammer. DH1020VC DH1020VC SDS-max® Demolition Hammer | Bosch

Jaz