HELP with Template Plywood Underlay

Old 03-27-14, 09:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP with Template Plywood Underlay

hey this is my first time laying down any kind of underlay that requires to make cuts.

Im wondering whats the best way to find dimensions needed for each 4 by 4 feet of plywood that needs to be cut in my bathroom.

I found out one way from youtube for vinyl they used a fiber paper to template the hole floor and made one hole piece for the vinyl. do I go about this with the same idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-14, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
If you are buying plywood in 4x4 pieces I assume you don't have a truck to be able to transport normal 4x8 sheets which would be much better. The fewer seams the better. If you must stick with 4x4 pieces try tom minimize the seams in high traffic areas.

"...best way to find dimensions"? Not to be rude but you simply measure the area and mark it on the sheeting and cut as needed. A template can be made but it's work that really does not need to be done.

If the sheet will need a complex cut or if you are afraid of getting something wrong draw out the piece, with dimensions on paper. It helps to lay the paper on the floor and draw the outline of the piece in the orientation that it is in the room. This can help avoid confusion. Sometimes it helps to label one edge "wall" or "tub" so you which edge is supposed to go where. Then just measure each dimension and write it down on your drawing. Then go to your sheeting and lay the paper down in the orientation you want and measure off the dimensions onto your sheeting.

Old 03-28-14, 06:12 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Remove any baseboard molding and shoe moldings first. There in lies your fudge factor. Combined these two pieces of molding account for 1 inch of super duper DIY hiding space for the I've never made a cut crowd. You only need to get close as you want Minimum 1/4" of play near the wall (up to a max of just under the 1"). Don't sweat getting the cuts perfect. What you want close to perfect is any seam between boards that you will skim coat smooth.

Keep in mind that under cabinets and up against tubs you don't have the luxury of all that molding so a little measuring will be necessary. If you goof, skim coat the gap with the same floor patch you will skim the seams with.

Old 03-28-14, 08:39 PM
T
Name:  IMG_1987.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  32.7 KBName:  IMG_1989.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  19.8 KBName:  IMG_1988.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  19.6 KB

please feel free to help me along here. I have more questions id really be happy to have answered.

do I fill the gaps with anything, silicone, cement?

feel free to make any comments.

Old 03-28-14, 09:07 PM
T
also should I be concerned about the wood ever expanding cus its quite tight to the walls..