Attaching Tile Pencil Border?

Old 04-02-14, 07:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
Attaching Tile Pencil Border?

I need to attach a "pencil" border tile to a kitchen back splash. The border tile is 1/2" wide and is going on a two tiered island and the back splash is only 6" high. The border piece must go flush with the end of the cabinetry so the side of the tile will also be visible in addition to the face. How should I attach this border tile?

If I go traditional and use thinset the mortar will be visible from the side. The tile is not wide enough to attach with thinset and leave a un-mortared gap at the edge to fill with grout or caulk. I could use a thin bead of construction adhesive and get the tile to sit almost flush against the backing.

Here is a pic of the end trim "pencil" tile. Long and thin so there is not much width to work with for attaching it and making the exposed side pretty.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-14, 03:14 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Schluter makes numerous metal finish profiles that are used to dress up any type of tile installation. Finishing & Edge-Protection Profiles for Walls & Countertops - Schluter-Systems They go from simple to fairly ornate and are available in multiple finishes.

You can also remove the drywall/cement board from the backsplash area and replace it with 1/4" backer board so that the pencil boarder is partially recessed into the wall when it gets to the transition to the normal 1/2" drywall.

Old 04-04-14, 03:33 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
I ended up using a ready to use tile adhesive and squished it down to be very thin. After it cures a while I'll come back in and fill the void areas to hopefully get a more consistent line.