Home Bar Floor- help!

Old 04-09-14, 07:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home Bar Floor- help!

Hello all,

The background: I recently completed building a home bar in a sectioned off room in my basement. I was very happy to be finished and use my bar until the flooring didn't exactly work out as I'd hoped. I used a leveler to smooth out the concrete floor then grinder it down so it was as flat as possible. I initially went with 18" peel and stick tiles from Lowe's for the floor in this room but many of the tiles are not staying stuck down. I have tried using contact cement and construction adhesive even, but I am still having a majority of the tiles lifting up at the edges.

I was hoping someone could recommend a great flooring idea for a 200 sq foot room in my basement with wood paneling walls and a sheetrock ceiling. I am going to have to pull up the existing tiles but I am not sure what would work best. I am looking for something durable that will stay in place, deal with the occasional dampness and spilled drinks and isn't terribly expensive considering I'm paying for a floor the second time through.

Any ideas/advice is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-14, 05:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
Since you've had so much trouble getting things to stick to the floor I'd look at garage flooring. They have vinyl sheets that might not have a seam or plastic squares that click together. Most are plastic looking and are available in various textures, patterns and colors. Not exactly the right look for a formal dining room but you could do a pattern or team colors for the bar or man cave.

Old 04-10-14, 10:26 AM
T
Thanks,

I'll check that out. Anyone have any experience with VCT or different kinds of linoleum/vinyl?

Old 04-10-14, 06:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
I've done a lot of VCT but I would not recommend it since you've had so much trouble with anything sticking. VCT will require an adhesive just like everything else.

Old 04-17-14, 07:28 AM
N
Why not just tile it?
Or stain the concrete?

Old 04-17-14, 10:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Why not glasbac sheet vinyl like Flexitec. No adhesive needed and you can buy it 13' 3" wide. You just leave it 3/8" short of obstructions and put 1/4 rd trim over gap, nailed to the wall.