Tiling Over Structolite?

Old 04-11-14, 03:22 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling Over Structolite?

Hello,
I have just finished plastering my (dry area) bathroom walls using Structolite. Should I apply a coat of primer/ sealer to the Structolite before I tile? If so what product would you recommend?
More Information:
-The Structolite has a light texture to it (similar to exterior stucco).
-I will be using 3" x 6" subway tiles (3/8" thick) adhered using VersaBond Fortified Thin-Set Mortar.
Many Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-14, 04:11 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I would not prime or seal, I would want a good bond directly to the base plaster material. Why did you plaster as opposed to hanging sheets of cement board? Would have been easier than floating a smooth wall.

Old 04-12-14, 11:12 AM
B
Thanks czizzi,
I used structolite because my walls are solid masonry and was plastering over existing plaster and didn't want to loose any space by applying cement board (which I would have done if I had stud walls). My instinct is the same as your's re: not using a primer but I read somewhere that a primer is required to prevent any type of reaction between the gypsum based plaster and the cement based thin set. Could anyone confirm if this should be a concern?
Thanks,
Ben

Old 04-13-14, 04:39 PM
J
Ben,

I'm gonna have to disagree with our friend about not priming your gypsum substrate. You need to prime that gypsum. Since you're using Versabond by CBP, you should go to their site and read the specs.

I answered elsewhere, and the info you got from CX at JB's place is correct.

Read the part about; Bonding to Lightweight Cement and Gypsum Surfaces -- http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-104.pdf

Jaz

Old 04-13-14, 06:50 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Old dogs, new tricks,... thanks Jaz - misread for some reason and was fixated on why traditional methods were not used. You are correct, thanks for keeping me in line. I withdraw my previous recommendation.

Old 04-15-14, 01:41 PM
B
Thanks JazMan,
As I mentioned on the other forum, I did just as you said by applying one coat 1:4 diluted Redgard followed by one coat of neat Redgard. So far the thin-set is going on well and not drying out too quickly.
Thanks again,
Ben