What's the best cement board to use for the floor

Old 05-14-14, 11:28 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the best cement board to use for the floor

I'm in the middle of taking up my kitchen floor. I'm about half way through right now. I'm just looking for some input. I'm down to the sub floor. 1/2 ply, sitting on 2x8, built 1961. my plan, screw down the sub floor because there is really no nails in it and it's moving up and down, then use 1/2 cement board, then tiles 12x12 tiles. I was planing on getting 3x5 1/2 DUROCK Brand, but I heard it's not that good. I also was looking at HardieBacker cement board. I'm going to remodal my bathroom next so I want to use the same stuff. I just want something that's going to hold up over and has no problems with mods and so on.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-14, 12:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What's the span and spacing of the 2x8's?

1/4" cement board is fine but I don't think your 1/2" plywood is going to be enough.

Old 05-14-14, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
You need at least another layer of 3/4" ply on top of the 1/2", besides knowing species and grade of the joists and spacing of joists.

Old 05-14-14, 03:19 PM
J
Hi Mike,

That 1/2" subfloor is just that, a subfloor. When your house was built it had another layer of 5/8" ply, then vinyl flooring. This way is matched up to 3/4" hardwood in the adjacent rooms. Someone removed the old flooring and the top layer of ply. You have to add a layer of plywood underlayment, preferably 5/8", then the concrete backer (1/4" is good for floors), or membrane mat such as Ditra.

Durock is a fine backer, no idea why someone would think not. There are many, so it's just a personal thing. I would use Ditra.

Jaz

Old 05-16-14, 09:34 AM
M
My 2x8 are 16" o.c. It was way heigh, I cut 3 layers of 1/4" with vinyl. So if I just put the 1/2 cement board down it will not give me any load bearing? Because if I put down the 1/2" cb and tiles it will be dead even with the wood floors in my living and dinning room.

Old 05-16-14, 12:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
1/2" cbu is used generally for walls and 1/4" on floors. CBU gives no structural strength, so you will need to add the 5/8" plywood/OSB for that. Yes there will be a difference in elevations, but without the added subflooring, there would be too much movement in the tile and it could possibly crack.

Old 05-16-14, 02:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Ditra is a little thinner than 1/4" cbu but you're still going to have to build the floor up higher than the neighboring room to have the proper base for tile.

And what kind of tile is this? Natural stone needs a stiffer floor than ceramic/porcelain.

Old 05-16-14, 04:07 PM
J
Mike,

Please return and reply to the last few posts.

In #5 you answered that the spacing of the joists is 16" o.c. still need to know what the span is and if you know their species and grade by chance.

Jaz