Alignment between new tile floor and existing cove base mudjob

Old 05-15-14, 02:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alignment between new tile floor and existing cove base mudjob

I just bought a house and among the many repair projects I have is re-tiling a bathroom that had some serious floor damage where the subfloor structure had gotten wet next to the bathtub (old floor tile was adhered straight onto plywood - guessing this is a big no-no for a bathroom). Anyways, the room has a mudjob on the walls that is in okay shape save some tiles I chipped pulling up the old floor. As I work to prep a proper subfloor, I want to know how I should align the new tile relative to the cove base tiles on the wall. Should they go under the cove base tiles (Case A in the image), which is the way the floor I just ripped up was done, or should they align edge-to-edge where the cove turns and is aligned with the floor (Case B). Please see the following image:

Two Possible Configurations:
Name:  TileConfigs.jpg
Views: 5744
Size:  22.6 KB

Photo showing cove base tiles, new hex tiles that are going down, and old tiles as well as floor damage:
Name:  PhotoWithOldTile.jpg
Views: 5369
Size:  22.3 KB

Current situation after demo (I'll be making another post about sourcing replacements and how to swap out the chipped cove base tiles):
Name:  CurrentSituation.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  26.6 KB

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-14, 06:51 PM
J
That base is made for case "B".

3/8" ply is too thin, need min. 1/2", thicker would be better.

Jaz

Old 05-16-14, 05:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I second the vote for case B. 1/2" is the minimum thickness I consider useful in standard plywoods with thicker being better. Case B also allows you some wiggle room for errors in thickness. If the tile ends up a bit low or high it will still fit and the grout will help conceal the mismatch. With plan A you're screwed if your thickness ends up slightly too high.

Old 05-16-14, 06:33 AM
M
Thanks for the feedback.

Out of curiosity while I'm trying to determine how thick to go on plywood, is there a good rule-of-thumb for how much thickness the thinset between the plywood and backer board will add? I've got a 1/4" trowel.

Best Regards,
Ross

Old 05-16-14, 08:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
That can vary a good deal depending on the angle you hold your trowel, how thick the thinset is mixed and how much pressure you apply when screwing it down. If the thickness is critical I've done many floors without thinset below the backer. I know the manufacturers recommend it but I've not had any trouble when screwing using the spacing they recommend when the subfloor is good and solid. Generally I use a premium OSB product like Advantech instead of plywood under the backer (Hardi or cement board).

Old 05-16-14, 04:15 PM
J
Mclendo,

I recommend you not skip the thin set. It won't add very much plus you can actually tweak it a hair by how you use the drill motor.

You make the thin set a little thinner than normal, so you can figure about 1/16" under the board.

Jaz