Bathroom Reno: Skim Coat Wall Before or After Tiling?

Old 05-21-14, 09:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Bathroom Reno: Skim Coat Wall Before or After Tiling?

Hi All,

This is my first time posting on here. So thanks so much for your input!!

My husband and I are DIYers and so we've already done a lot in our home. We decided this time, that we're pretty tired and so we hired a contractor to do our bathroom.

Here's the situation:

We want subway tile going up approx 3 1/2' up the wall and the rest of the wall smoothed out with skim coat all the way up to the ceiling to cover up the bad knock-down texture currently there.

The question is, shouldn't the skim coat be done BEFORE putting the tile up? This way we can be assured of smooth walls all the way down and past the tile. It seems to us that this would be the correct and easiest way to do it rather than trying to get the wall smooth right up to the tile if the tile was installed first. They tiled first and now the skim coat is not going all the way down to the tile. The work looks bad....

Thanks all, for you expert advice!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 09:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While it can be done either way, it's easier to do the skim coating first. If the job looks bad, don't pay them until they make it right!

Old 05-21-14, 06:11 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Give the crew a chance to make it right. If they can't, then you hold back on the final check until they get it correct. It really is up to them to perform to the letter of the contract.