Is this even possible to do , kitchen countertop related.

Old 05-22-14, 03:52 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this even possible to do , kitchen countertop related.

Did granite tile on a island I built and it turned out great even with the tiny grout lines looks great imo, want to do the rest of the kitchen. I keep measuring and trying to figure out how to tile the corner sink. Its a base cabinet on either side and a deep corner cabinet with a sink on top. From the back corner of the wall to the edge of the countertop its 49".

I used 18x31 tile on the island but I'm lost on how to cut them to fit that corner. Any ideas on how they can fit

Looking at the sink right countertop is 70" 7/8
Looking at the sink left countertop is 60" 5/8

Each has an additional 1" backsplash.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-14, 06:39 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'll have to admit, having a hard time picturing what you have. Perhaps a couple of pictures would help us with your set up. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

First off, what ever countertop was there needs to be removed so there is not a back splash to deal with. Replace with 3/4" plywood topped with 1/4" cement board set in a bed of thinset mortar and screwed down. Use your existing countertop cut out to make your sink rough cut out. Tile should always be centered to look correct. This however would create a ton of waste in your case. Lay a full 18" wide tile at the front edge and rip the next for the back 7".

Old 05-25-14, 07:50 AM
A

Close to accurate may be few inches off. My problem is I can start on either side or both and have them meet in the middle but that would take a lot of cuts and more chances for the granite to break (1/2" granite) using 18x31" tile since I could not find any locally that were 18x18 of this color.

How should I attempt to cut the tile for it to fit with the sink? If I work my way against the walls and have the tile meet in the corner I wont have any support for the sink?

Old 05-25-14, 08:14 AM
You are going to have to install some sort of base plywood to support the areas behind the sink. If you support the entire structure, you would install similar to tile as opposed to granite. Once you have a support under, there is little worry about how you are going to traverse the area in the corner.

Old 05-25-14, 08:41 AM
A
I'm almost done with the plywood and hardiboard cuts got everything ready to go just dont know how to setup the tile without it looking horrible due to so many cuts.

Old 05-25-14, 09:34 AM
Here are two scenarios that should work (one in red, one in black). I don't know what tools you have available to cut the sink hole with. Choose which one makes the cuts easier. Your structure is fully supported so the small triangle under the front sink lip is not technically load bearing and should stay put fine without issues.

Name:  tile layout.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  20.0 KB

Old 05-25-14, 10:01 AM
A
Thanks! that's exactly what I was having trouble figuring out. I am going to bring the tile to a granite fabricator and have them cut 2 pieces for the sink cutout sink I dont have the proper tools for that. I was quoted 120 for cuts or 250 for cuts and polish on an overhang option.

Reading up on this I got the impression that overhang sinks are not an option for granite tile. Is this true?

Old 05-25-14, 10:41 AM
You can rent a wet saw for far less than you can probably hire a fabricator. If you use a drop in sink, which I think is the only option with your small pieces of granite, you do not need to polish just cut the stone hole smaller than the size of the sink so that it has a lip to sit on. Does the granite already have a finished edge on it?

Undermount sinks give granite a sleek look, but only for a full slab, one piece installation. Your small tile type granite will need a drop in (overhang) type sink.

Overlap the edge of the countertop by min. 1" with the stone.

Old 05-25-14, 04:34 PM
A
Have a wet saw capable of doing 24"l cuts. I just dont know how to do a cut between 2 cuts with it. Also with this tile being so big I can't do cuts lengthwise. ( I tried flipping the piece on a spare one but missed the cut by centimeters even though I measured, taped, and double checked).

Old 05-26-14, 06:24 AM
All cuts should be masked either under the sink or under a backsplash. So, off by a hair shouldn't make much of a different. Probably should have drawn my rectangles overhanging as such to show the cut end not overhanging the front of the cabinet.

Old 05-26-14, 08:05 AM
A
I ordered in all the tile so they should be here by next week. Thanks for the help!