Drill bits for porcelain tiles and granite

Old 06-06-14, 11:51 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Drill bits for porcelain tiles and granite

I have two projects that requires special drill bits.

One is for a pedestal sink in a bathroom that has 3/8" porcelain tiles. The pedestal sink needs to be anchored to the floor and walls through the wall. I am using 1/4" Tapcons to anchor to the floor concrete slab, as well as for the wall brackets to get it all the way to the concrete block wall. However I am having a real hard time drilling through the tiles. The regular Tapcon bits are worn out. To drill holes for 1/4" Tapcon screws I need 3/16" size holes.

Next is to install glass shower doors. The shower doors are sitting over 1/2" thick granite lined curb. I know my masonry bits won't work there either.

I saw that Home Depot has 3/16" diamond hole saw bits for about $15 a piece.

Yet I saw on eBay there are thin diamond hole saw bit, only $12 for 10 of them.

Then there are regular drill bits that are "diamond coated". Five pieces for $10.

and yet there are those "rotary hole saw bits" which I assume is for something like a Dremel which I have one as well. Different sizes for $10.

My questions are which one is the most effective for what I need done?

Do I use the same bit for porcelain and granite or do I use different bits?

Any substantial difference between an eBay $2 diamone bit versus Home Depot $15 diamond bit of the same size?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-14, 12:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Diamond coated and Platinum, or Titanium coating is just that.......paint. Regardless of the bit you choose, keep them wet. A spray bottle of water is indespensible. The coring type bits you saw on Ebay will stay cooler and make a smoother hole. Not a bad price, either. I have also had good luck with porcelain bits. They look like a shaft with a snake head on it. Gotta keep it cool and no hard pressure or the weld will melt.

Old 06-06-14, 01:02 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Next is to install glass shower doors. The shower doors are sitting over 1/2" thick granite lined curb. I know my masonry bits won't work there either.
You don't drill into the curb of the shower. The doors get hung from the wall, not the curb. You want the curb to remain water tight without any holes in it.

Glass/Tile bits are also located with the regular drill bits in the box stores. I have had little success with the bits found in the tile department (which are the ones you pictured). They sometimes look like round shaft with an arrow head on it. They make a nice smooth hole.

Old 06-06-14, 03:05 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
For my shower door it is necessary to anchor to below. This is not the standard sliding doors but a three panel system with two fixed glass panels and the middle glass door swings open. The three panels are at an angle to each other and specification calls for anchoring up top (need to add wood blocking in attic) and below in addition to the wall brackets.

I have a set of ceramic tile hole saw that are carbide coated, with those arrow shaped leader bit, they chew through ceramic tiles and cement boards like knife through butter, but they do nothing to the porcelain tiles.

Old 06-06-14, 03:25 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Sorry, missed the porcelain mention in your first post. I have used a porcelain tile bit that goes in my rotozip. Found in the "Dremel" section of the box stores. Bring your home equity line with you...

Can you send a link to your shower door system?, curious to review your install instructions with you.