Damage to bathroom tiles, grout, and caulk

Old 06-08-14, 07:47 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Damage to bathroom tiles, grout, and caulk

I just moved into an apartment that I think is absolutely great. The only problem is that there is damage to the bathroom flooring.

Here are some pictures of the bathroom in general:

(Note: gray stain on the shower floor comes right off if I scrub it.)

Here are the problems (along with close ups), ordered by how much they bother me from most to least. (Hi-res versions of the below images are here: Hi res - Imgur)

(1) Brown stains on the tiles and caulk at the edge of the shower. The tiles are broken as well, and the brown stains feel gritty, like the tile is eroded:

(2) Grout around the base of my toilet is discolored, and there are is a stain along the floor next to it as well:

(3) Toilet itself has some brown erosion:

(4) Grout next to my bathroom door is uneven and dark gray in some parts:

The tiles on the walls are in pretty good condition, except for some of the very bottom ones, which are cracked and stained as you can see in the above pictures.

I want to do what it takes to make these problems go away. I'm inexperienced at home repairs so will probably need to hire a professional to fix some/all of these.

Any recommendations on the best solution?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-14, 12:10 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
There is nothing you can do about the cracks other than replace the tile. Since it is an apartment I assume that you are renting and that means it is the landlord's problem, not yours. The chances of finding a match for the existing tiles is extremely low.

The toilet appears to be set in a plaster bed and the only way to fix that would be to remove the toilet, chip out the plaster and re-do it. Again, a job for the landlord and not you.

The stains all appear to be water stains and should clean up with a water-based cleaner, a stiff scrub brush and lots of elbow grease. The caulking appears to have mold or mildew growing beneath the surface and if I am correct about that it will require removing the caulking, sterilizing the surface along with severe cleaning and then re-caulking.