Tile to wood transition - uneven tile elevation

Old 06-23-14, 07:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile to wood transition - uneven tile elevation

See pictures below. I have a transition from existing tile to a new bamboo wood floor on new wood sub floor that is level. The existing tile floor is not level and has a low point on the left side of the first picture below.

My contractor set the new floor at the lowest elevation of the existing tile floor figuring we could use leveler to make up the slope. I'm not sure I want to do that as I'd rather have the new wood floor be flat and make up the height difference at the transition somehow.

One contractor suggested extending the tile with some new tile and using that new tile to level things out. Not sure how good that will look.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Name:  IMG_3741.jpg
Views: 4953
Size:  29.9 KBName:  IMG_3745.jpg
Views: 5942
Size:  33.8 KBName:  IMG_3746.jpg
Views: 12194
Size:  35.0 KBName:  IMG_3743.jpg
Views: 5594
Size:  33.2 KB

Last edited by ryanjbow; 06-23-14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-24-14, 03:50 AM
Received 374 Votes on 339 Posts
One contractor suggested extending the tile with some new tile and using that new tile to level things out.
I opt for this choice. Seems like the lesser of the two evils. With some skill you could fashion a threshold transition piece.

Old 06-24-14, 05:45 AM
R
Thanks. You're right - it definitely would require some skill, but I like the idea of keeping the new wood flat and not leveling the problem out into the new room.

Old 06-24-14, 03:16 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
It is very common to use a feather edge leveling compound to smooth the transition. You will have a transition "T" molding bridging the gap either way. Floating the depression either with self leveling compound or a cement patch is done all the time. Trying to float the tile on an unstable area with patched wood, slivered cement backer is asking for constant problems down the road.

All you can do when situations like this arise, is to mask the error as best you can. Trust me, you will notice it because you know it is there, no one else will.

Old 06-24-14, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 997 Votes on 908 Posts
I wouldn't use a tile transition, I would lay the floor as you normally would, and when you get to the transition, tip the transition piece at whatever angle is needed to match up the 2 floors, using Durex Feather patch under it and the t-moulding czizzi mentioned where the tile and wood transition meet. You may even be able to lip the transition out so that it covers the tile edge. But if the tile edge has large dips or crowns in it, they didn't do you any favors. If the tile is higher on one end than the other, it will just mean that the transition will be tipped more on one end and less on the other. Not something most people would notice.

Old 06-24-14, 04:24 PM
R
czizzi,

I didn't mention this is a nail down floor. I haven't seen many people recommend a leveling compound for a nail down floor. Does this change things?

Old 06-24-14, 05:30 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Shouldn't change anything if nail down, As long as the patched wood strips are properly adhered to the subfloor, I sometimes use a subfloor rated liquid nails to ensure the small strips are properly secured and then skim the result. You will be placing felt paper or builders felt over these to cushion. I don't see an issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: