Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Will tiles adhere to drywall? Will paint adhere to cement backer board?

Old 06-24-14, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am trying to determine if paint will adhere to cement backer board, and if tiles will adhere well to drywall. Here is some background on why I am asking this...
  1. In a kitchen remodel, I saw some really neat work where the tile installer laid the tiles all the way from the sink counter to the ceiling. Here is an example of what I trying to accomplish....
    http://newhomedesignz.com/wp-content...ontal-Tile.jpg

QUESTION #1 - I was thinking of doing something similar in the kitchen, but wanted to know if I used drywall as a substrate for my kitchen backsplash wall, will tiles adhere well?

2. In a bathroom remodel, I also saw some really neat work where the tile installer laid tiles up to the ceiling. Here is an example of what I am trying to accomplish in the bathroom. Notice that half the wall is tile up to the ceiling, and the other half of the wall to the left is just paint.
    http://st.houzz.com/fimgs/68c1f4620b...y-bathroom.jpg

QUESTION #2 - If I just use cement board in the bathroom on the shower wall for the tiles, and then extend the cement board further past the shower wall into the non-wet part of the bathroom for the painted area... Will paint adhere to the cement board very well?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-14, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
1) Drywall in a non wet area is perfectly good substrate for tile, as long as it is in good condition.
2) Allow your concrete backer to fall short of your tile line by an inch or so. That way you have 99% coverage of cbu out to the non wet area. The small tab of sheetrock under the tiles won't be an insurmountable thing, and you can paint right up to the tile. Cbu doesn't paint well as the surface is too rough. Both your sheetrock and the cbu are 1/2" so there are no plane changes.

Old 06-24-14, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
The only way to get a decent looking paint job over cement board is to first skim it with joint compound, you can then prime and paint it. It's better to do as Larry suggested and use drywall for the painted portion.

I don't think I've ever seen cement board used for a residential kitchen backslash. Drywall used to be used for tub surrounds before the advent of cement board. Adhesion was never the issue but when the drywall got wet, it would disintegrate which meant the tile job would fail.

Old 06-24-14, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I thought that Hardiebacker 1/2" cement board was actually .42"?

So, wouldn't the Hardiebacker be thinner than 1/2" drywall?

Old 06-24-14, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I don't know for sure but maybe they rely on the thinset to bring it out to the full 1/2" I've never seen any issues where the tile overlaps onto drywall.