Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Want to install tile on a slightly sloped basement floorHi everyone,

Old 07-06-14, 09:13 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum (so happy I found it!!!) and have a quick question regarding installing tiles on a sloped basement floor (it's about 1 1/2' difference between the highest and lowest points).

The house is about 60 yrs old (brick) and it has slightly sloped basement floors bc of the drain. The floor is concrete and is flat, so there are no bumps or anything similar that would prevent me from installing tiles. The tiles are wood-like 6'x24'.
My question is do I need to level the floor before installing tiles, or do I just leave that slight slope there? Also, can I use thinset to bring the low point up just a little bit (maybe 1')?

Thank you!

Old 07-06-14, 10:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
You describe a slight slope but the symbol you are using stands for feet (12 inches). The ' indicates feet while " is for inches. Is your floor sloping 1.5' feet or 1.5" inches?

If your floor is sloping 1 1/2" then it is really up to you whether or not to level. The slope will not hurt the tile and if you preserve the slope you will also preserve the old drainage pattern of the floor. Leveling it may make it better for walking and furniture but if you have a leak the water will not flow like the old, sloped floor.

If you want to level the floor I would treat that as a separate process from laying the tile. Yes, you can bring the floor up some with thicker thinset under the tile but maintaining a uniform, level floor would be difficult.

Old 07-06-14, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Remember, flat and level are different things. A floor should be flat for tile but doesn't need to be level.

Old 07-08-14, 11:32 AM
J
Neira,

You referred to a 1 1/2" slope as slight. That is not slight. You also said the slope is flat. I doubt that very much and will bet it's actually dished so any water can go towards the drain.

Ceramic tiles need a very flat base and with large tiles like yours the floor needs to be flat within 1/8" in any 10' radius. I'm pretty sure yours does not meet those requirements.

You can not use thin set to make your floor flat unless it's a small amount in a small area, such as a small dip. Fixing that floor may be a bigger job than you thought which would also include raising the drain.

Jaz

Old 07-08-14, 03:25 PM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
You referred to a 1 1/2" slope as slight. That is not slight. You also said the slope is flat. I doubt that very much and will bet it's actually dished so any water can go towards the drain.
I think most of us assumed the drain was in a corner and if so no "dishing" would be necessary, but if centrally located then yes you have a point.

Old 07-08-14, 03:41 PM
J
Norm,

It's a 60 year old house and so I think we can picture how the floor is sloped. They didn't install tiles in basements much back then. I've yet to see a floor drain originally installed in a corner of a basement. Why would anyone do that? Pretty sure the floor is dished just like all other basements of that era.

Jaz

Old 07-08-14, 04:12 PM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
You're probably correct.

But 60 years ago is not that long ago with using today's common building techniques. I'm 65 and in 1970 I bought my first house and today's construction is pretty much identical to that era. Add an additional 20 years and not too much has changed. All the homes I'd been in as a kid I can remember many of them had drains in one corner of the basement. True maybe outside drain tiles were not common but under ground drains could just as easily be out in one end of the basement as the center. Just say'n.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: