Easily removable tile on concrete?

Old 07-14-14, 08:40 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Easily removable tile on concrete?

I'm getting ready to lay tile on my basement concrete floor. I have removed the old tile and it was a nightmare trying to get it up. I had to basically chip it away which also removed a lot of the concrete floor which I had to then fill in the craters to make it smooth again. I installed the previous tile using thin set. Before I lay this new tile, is there something different I need to do so that I can remove this tile easier later on if we want to?

Old 07-14-14, 11:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 721 Posts
I would make the decision between a truly temporary and easy to remove job and a proper permanent installation. You could coat the floor with something to prevent good adhesion of the thinset. It would make it easier to remove. It also means the tile will not be stuck as well and you have the chance of tiles coming loose and grout joints failing. On the other hand you just do the job properly. If you change your mind about the tile again you go through the job you just did and bust it out.

Old 07-14-14, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Why plan for "what if"? Any floor you install with "what if" planned in it will be a disaster from the beginning. If it is easy to remove later down the road, it will start coming up prematurely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: