Cutting Tile

Old 03-14-01, 05:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes, believe it or not, I'm FINALLY just about ready to actually lay some tile in this bathroom we've been remodeling. I've been looking at tile cutters today at the local Home Depot, while picking up some materials for another job. The "cheapie" tile cutters don't even BEGIN to pass the "giggle test." It seems to me that the cutting tool might work better if it were stronger than the material being cut.

In more reasonably constructed cutters, it looks like my choices are a 13" model for $80 and an 18" model for $99. I expect to be installing more tile down the road, so buying good tools doesn't offend me, within reason. At the same price point ($99), I can get a low-end wet saw. It's not something I'd buy if I were making my living laying tile -- lost of plastic -- but it appears to be capable and far less laughable than those low-end tile cutters.

I'm interested in opinions -- which of these would be the wisest investment of my $100? The tiles I'm laying are both glazed, about 1/4" thick, one is 6X6 (walls in shower surround) and the other is about 6x17.

Opinions?

D.

Old 03-15-01, 05:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hope I can offer you some insight.
I just finished a tile job in my kitchen..counters and backsplash.
I too, went to Home Depot and checked out the tile cutters.
After DH, stopped laughing....we decided on a $49 tile cutter. It is the scoring kind , that you snap the tile in half, after scoring.(I found my arm and hand were sore, and the cuts are not perfect,tile slides around, as well as the tile snaps where ever it feels like!
Some cuts I needed to make,(around window sills and electric outlets) were impossible with the scorer.
I went back to Home Depot and got the $100 plastic wet saw.
Don't let the plastic fool you. It worked great..even thru tumbled marble! It was a breeze, and I am planning on more tile jobs...because it was that easy.!!
My advice: Get the wet saw!
good Luck!
Lisa

Old 03-15-01, 05:54 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey Dan,

Long time no see. Figured you'd be showering in that thing by now.

Lisa, As you've found out, tumbled marble won't cut on a cutter. But cutters are meant for ceramic tile, not stone.

The easiest way to cut ceramic tiles (in a straight line) is with the cutter. Knowing Dan, however, I think he might as well go for the saw. He won't mind the extra time it takes to make straight cuts, and he'll be able to make very nice notches around plumbing, etc. (Right, Dan?) And Dan, very apparently, is not in a hurry.

I have one of the $100 saws, and I use it occasionally for small repairs. Cuts just fine, but stand to the side, because it'll spray you right in the crotch. Gets embarrassing, if you know what I mean.

John :-)

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 03-15-01, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

ROFL John!!!!
Wet in the pants huh?
Hmmm, guess I forgot to mention THAT part!!
Yes, The spray is quite refreshing. Don't laugh, but I found myself soaked until I got smart. Maybe not smart enough though.......I wrapped a garbage bag around my waist and went to it!
Thanks for the laugh...
Lisa

Old 03-15-01, 07:12 PM
Visiting Guest
John, your "wet pants" comment brought to mind a plumber I worked with once who said "the worst thing about being the plumber on a job like this is that you can't go to the bathroom until you've got the job almost finished!"

Yeah, I expected to be done by now, too. Way too much "stuff" to do and not enough week <sigh>. I even considered taking a week off and pretending to be out of town, but my department's manager, a slave-driving taskmaster named Dan Case <smirk> wouldn't let me have the time off.

Well, we'll be borrowing a wet saw from a friend. I don't know a thing about it, other than it's a wet saw and they just finished doing a tile countetop in their kitchen. I figure that at worst it will be useless and I'll go buy the one at Home Depot (and when I'm done, return the borrowed one with a hearty thank you)... and it just might be a heckuva good one, since the guy in question used to be a professional glass blower and has talked about getting back to glasswork as art. Hey, ya never know!

The question is... even if it's a great wet saw, do I want to still invest $49 in a cutter for the sake of saving time? With the wetsaw to make those few lengthwise cuts in the 5x16 floor tiles, I can go to the 13" model to cut the 6" tiles and those shorter cuts on the 5x16's. How long does it take to cut through a 6" tile? I'm gonna be doing a BUNCH of cutting with those shelves to trim out.

BTW, John, I really AM in a hurry... I even threatened (if the schedule didn't ease up) to stop showering until it was done!

D.

Old 03-15-01, 07:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dan,

Tile cutters are very quick. You can't match that speed with a wet saw.

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: