Very newbie question regarding grouting

Old 08-11-14, 05:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very newbie question regarding grouting

Hello all. This is my first post here and it seems to be a very helpful forum. As a new homeowner I'm sure I'll be here quite often in the future.

So my issue...

I used a simplegrout to supplement a vinyl tile install in my guest bathroom.

This is the grout: Custom Building Products SimpleGrout #165 Delorean Gray 1-qt. Pre-Mixed Grout-PMG165QT at The Home Depot

This is the grout info: http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-181.pdf

My embarrassing question is I'm unsure of the "dry time" and when I can actually use the bathroom fully. To clarify, this was not done in a shower, this was just on the floor of the bathroom. There is a standard tub/shower combo that wasn't grouted at all. It says 24hr dry time but I'm not sure if that means I can use it after 24hrs as well? Silly question and I'm sure I'm overthinking it but I want to make sure before anyone uses the shower and/or before I reinstall the toilet!

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-11-14, 07:27 PM
J
You grouted vinyl tile on the floor?

Why?

Jaz

Old 08-11-14, 07:48 PM
S
It's Trafficmaster Ceramica, you can grout it if you want. Gives it a more "real" tile look.

TrafficMASTER Ceramica 12 in. x 24 in. Coastal Grey Vinyl Tile Flooring (30 sq. ft./case)-24716 at The Home Depot

Old 08-11-14, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the Forums!

I'm a little confused also. Grout on Vinyl Tile?
Can you give some info on tile used and at what point grout was recommended as a supplement?

Old 08-11-14, 08:04 PM
You got in before I could post my previous reply.

I looked at the tile. 24 hours is fine for any grout.

You should check back for a few more opinions here regarding sealing and water exposure.

This tile is new to me.

Old 08-11-14, 08:10 PM
J
OK Trafficmaster. Would have been nice if you had mentioned that first.

I think you should have used the Trafficmaster grout instead. But it may work anyway?

Did you just install the vinyl tiles, or were they installed some time ago? 24 hours should be long enough for that product. I hope it bonds well to vinyl though and doesn't crack.

Jaz

Old 08-12-14, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
I just cant wrap my head around grouting vinyl tile. What if the vinyl flexes or shrinks with a change in humidity? Will it pop out? Grout less than 1/4" thick, IMO, isn't substantial enough to hold up to traffic.

Old 08-12-14, 04:56 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
TrafficMaster's installation instructions says the recommended grout is exactly what you used. 24 hours then should be more than sufficient for the application. Provide of course that you grout line is not too wide. They recommended 1/8" for a grout line. We also assume that as with all vinyl tile installations, you took extra time to properly prep the subfloor and installed a 1/4" underlayment grade plywood and skim coated the seam and nail holes for a smooth foundation to affix your tile.

Old 08-12-14, 04:57 PM
S
Thank you for the replies everyone.

I understand the confusion surrounding grouting with vinyl tile but I must say it looks nice so far. I installed it directly onto our concrete subfloor this weekend so no, I didn't do any of the other prep you mention czizzi. We did use an adhesive supporter to increase the "stick" of the tile though. I also used 1/16th grout line which I know wasn't recommended. As far as how the grout will work with a flexing vinyl tile...tbd

Truth is, it cost less than $75 to do - if it looks terrible after a while I know what to do better next time and if nothing else it was a learning experience lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: