Do I need to apply cleaner or some glue before tiling?

Old 09-05-14, 12:38 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to apply cleaner or some glue before tiling?

Hi All,

I am working on a basement that had tile (on the bath) and carpet. I removed the tile and plan to replace it (and would also be replacing the carpet later)...

When removing the tile I noticed it had some white layer and the base (concrete) had something applied to it (I guess some kind or moisture barrier?)

I attached a close up picture that shows both:

Name:  IMG_2139 (Small).jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  51.2 KB

I am ready to install the tile but now I wonder if I should apply a coat of something before...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-14, 03:47 PM
J
Close- ups work well on coin forums, not so much here. I guess the background is the slab covered with cutback or black emulsion adhesive. What the heck is the off white thing? Looks like the back of a tile, but darn if I can figure out how think it is. I don't understand why you call it some white layer If the flooring was sheet goods, it would make sense, but you said they were tiles. Tiles, either vinyl asbestos or asphalt is what was generally used in basements many years ago. How old is the house, the old flooring?

I don't understand the first sentence, at all. What was on the bathroom? Usually things are in there.

Wanna try again?

Jaz

Old 09-05-14, 06:25 PM
F
Sorry about the picture. I tough close up was better. Here I try it again:

Name:  IMG_2140 (Small).jpg
Views: 400
Size:  50.0 KB

So.. short question is.. Can I apply the tile using thinset mortar on top on that ?

As additional info:
When I removed the tile (it was natural stone), it was not old (had to remove for other reasons), they had the thinset on top of some white thing and it on top on the bath floor.. I pretty much removed it all already and put it in the trash, but I as able to find a couple of pieces , one the picture before, and the next one below the door frame. I took a close up because it is small (sorry if not clear enough). It is like 1-2 mm thick:

Name:  IMG_2141 (Small).jpg
Views: 488
Size:  34.2 KB

Hope it is clearer now...

Old 09-20-14, 04:35 PM
F
Well, it turned out the white layer was an old vinyl but most of it came out along with the old tile, so I did not realized it at first.

I understand the information was limited. I am no expert or have no experience with it. In any case, I tested it with one tile make sure it got properly installed and no risk of having issues later on. It worked just fine so I completed my installation with no problems...

Thanks