Bedroom laminate floor water damage.

Old 09-19-14, 07:20 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bedroom laminate floor water damage.

Yesterday had a neighbor who forgot to shut off the faucet and water flooded into my bedroom From above the floor there were a big puddle of water. Maybe size of 20 inches or so diameter, not exactly a perfect circle. Anyway I tried and still am drying the floor with the few fans I have. The floor feels dry now but there's already some warping around the connecting edges of the laminate. About 10 intersections so around 20 planks are warped. Now I'm not really too worried about how it looks but I'm afraid that mold might develop. Do you guys think mold will develop? There's no moisture in this bedroom other than what happened...everything feels dry to the touch. Weather here in NYC is getting to the low-mid 70 range...the damage looks to be only contained in one corner area of the room.

Sorry this won't a DIY repair but a contractor I talked to say I may have to replace the entire floor in the bedroom. Is he right?

edit: This is an apartment building.

Old 09-19-14, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The contractor is correct. That water is in there and will migrate. Mold is a def possibility. One bedroom isn't that big a deal. You could probably DIY with help from us and simple tools.

Old 09-20-14, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
And people ask why I don't like laminate your key word in your edit takes it out of your realm and into the hands of your landlord. It is a DIY situation for the most part, and we can walk you through it. But you would need permission first.

Old 09-20-14, 08:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Laminate does not tolerate water well at all and I can certainly believe it all needs to be replaced.

As Larry said, if you're renting, the landlord needs to be involved in this.

Old 09-20-14, 08:54 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
In a rental situation, if the damage is noted when you move out, they will fix it and charge you, or at a minimum keep your deposit. Now is the time to bring this to their attention and bring yours and your neighbors renters insurance up to date as to what took place.

If it were to develop into a mold issue you would not want to pay those costs.

Bud

Old 09-20-14, 09:09 AM
R
I'm sorry, stupid me I should've said Co-Op. We are responsible for the flooring. The guy doesn't have home owner insurance but he claims the building has insurance for this type of thing. I don't really believe him. Trying to find out with the management right now. *sigh*

Old 09-20-14, 09:30 AM
I don't know what a co-op is. The floor all needs replaced because water will get trapped under it.
The water came from above, I would be concerned with the path it took and how to ensure the wall cavities are dry.
If this is a rental situation, then maybe they will take care of it. Maybe not the floor, but the walls.
Owners of the building cannot just ignore the fact that water travelled through "their" ceiling or walls. That's just asking for trouble.

Old 09-20-14, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, it always gets confusing when New Yawkers say apartment...lol. I guess it's common in other large cities as well, but very few (none?) of us live in large cities.

Old 09-20-14, 11:07 AM
R
Co-op is kind of similar to a condo where we own shares of the building. Anyway there's actually a vinyl flooring underneath the laminate. The contractor said the vinyl flooring doesn't need to be replaced just dry it out for a couple of days before laying down the laminate. That doesn't sound right to me.

The guy actually lives next door to me not above, though water did go to the floors below.

Old 09-20-14, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
If it's sheet vinyl, seamed and sealed, likely he's correct.

Old 09-21-14, 10:14 AM
R
There's a small section of a closet that wasn't done with laminate and just from looking they are tiled not a sheet.

Old 09-21-14, 10:48 AM
Chandler said in post #3 he doesn't like laminate.

Here's maybe why.

I put laminate in my kitchen. It's high quality. When I put this laminate in my kitchen, I understood if it ever got flooded, or water under it, floor comes out and is trash.

I have the luxury of being able to replace it at a reasonable cost and effort.

My point is your floor needs to come out, the sooner the better. Whatever's under there should dry out sufficiently.

The longer you wait is an invitation for more problems.

Old 09-21-14, 11:16 AM
R
Right I understand. I'm trying as quickly as possible to replace the laminate layer. So the vinyl layer underneath (pictured) can stay? Just want to make sure.

Old 09-21-14, 11:53 AM
Flooring contractor will look at floor and see if it is acceptable as a base, also if removing vinyl will aid in drying. I would put my trust in them. Contractors don't like call backs.

Ask about warranty and get specifics in writing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: