Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Putting down self leveler over concrete but forgot to prime - what should I do?

Old 10-04-14, 07:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am putting a bathroom in my basement (concrete slab). I am putting heated floors in using the cable you lay out on the floor. Lay the cable out, pour self leveler to secure the cable, mortar and tile over the self leveler. The problem is this... I put my cable down but forgot to prime the concrete first (D'OH!)... so what do I do? Obviously the best solution is to pull the cable up, prime the floor, put the cable back down and then do the self leveler. I was wondering if there are any other options since it took me an entire day to put the cable down (needed to secure the strap down with construction adhesive, wait for it to dry, lay the cable, ...)

1) Can I just put the primer down over the cable? It would cover 95% or more of the concrete so I am not concerned about that. My concern is will applying the primer over both the floor AND cable - will it risk my heating cable not functioning correctly or damaging it?

2) Or just apply the self leveler without priming?

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-14, 04:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't have experience with this, but here are my concerns: I wouldn't want to risk all the effort and money by not using primer and have the floor fail. So I would put the primer down. Construction adhesive is really strong. I would be worried about damaging the cable trying to remove it from the floor. Without seeing exactly what things look like, I think I would opt to paint the primer on inbetween the cables. If you only tacked the cable down in spots, lift it up to get underneath it if possible.

What manufacturer of cable did you use?

Old 10-05-14, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Just put the primer on over what you have. It if fairly loose and watery in consistency and should flow to the areas you need. You may need to wait some extra time for it to dry. Normal dry time is 2 hours. Yours may end up with a thicker coat. It will go on milky so provide enough dry time until it is clear and no longer wet. Mind the instructions on the bottle as it states that if you wait too long, you need to re-apply the primer.