thickness of sub floor required to install floor tiles

Old 10-09-14, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thickness of sub floor required to install floor tiles

I took some measurements of the kitchen. Its 11'x19', the longest span of the floor joists being 11'. The sub floor is 5/8" thick plywood, the joists are 16" OC, and are 1.5"x7.25". I have no idea what the formula is, and I want the new floor to last. I haven't decided which tile type to use, be it ceramic, porcelain or slate. Haven't decided the size yet either. Any help would be well appreciated. After this is figured out I need suggestions on whether to use cement board and or what ever the best option might be. So many decisions. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by David Bolton; 10-09-14 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-14, 07:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All that you described is bare minimum for even a carpeted or linoleum floor.
Going to have to full length sister the joist and go over the whole floor with 1/2 A/C plywood before the 1/4" tile board.

Old 10-09-14, 08:07 PM
Thanks Joe. I was afraid of that. Can't sister the joists due to electrical running through. unless have have some ideas.

Old 10-10-14, 09:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got some pictures of under the floor?
I've pored new piers and added piers and a doubled up beam many times in older houses to get out the sag and stop the floor from bouncing.

Old 10-11-14, 07:50 AM
I am thinking of running a 2x8 doubled down the center of the joists with supports every ten feet to eliminate bounce all together. That would make the longest run of the joists aprox 5.5". The kitchen is over the furnace room so it won't even be noticed. I think its the best answer I can come up with. The house was built in 1976. Not that old, but when they tried to build cheap I guess.