Which direction should I lay my plank tiles?

Old 11-05-14, 01:44 PM
Which direction should I lay my plank tiles?

Hi, I just wanted to gather opinions on my tile project here. I am redoing the tiles in my bathroom using plank tiles with a wood like finish. I was originally thinking of putting the tiles in parallel to the bath tub as I thought it would be easier to get the job done cleanly, but after laying the tiles the other direction (perpendicular to the tub), I'm feeling that might work better. Just wondering what others here feel about this. I've included photos for viewing. Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-14, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd put them in the same direction as your hall floor for a more natural feel. They also would naturally be placed perpendicular to the floor joists as would a natural wood floor.

I notice that you removed a previous tile floor that looks like it was put down on top of plywood without the use of cement board. I do hope that you plan on using best practices for the installation of your tile. Please advise if we can assist in that regard.

Old 11-05-14, 03:02 PM
Thank you Czizzi. I feel the same and your feedback has given me further reassurance.

The subfloor is actually a concrete slab, and I am being lazy and frugal reusing the former membrane. I believe my major concern should be for the membrane to be able to withstand any movement in the concrete, and it looks to be in good shape and the surface is flat according to my leveler. Should I be further concerned?

Old 11-05-14, 04:07 PM
I vote perpendicular for the tub.

Old 11-05-14, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What type of membrane is in place that you are re-using?