Old adhesive from Vinyl flooring

Old 11-20-14, 03:16 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old adhesive from Vinyl flooring

Hi fellow DIY's

I'm putting in porcelain tile (24x6) in my bathroom. The picture is how far I am now and the toilet is coming off next. I have two questions:
Name:  IMG_3275.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  28.0 KB

1. I'm planning on skimcoating the concrete slab with HENRY® 549 FeatherFinish™
Underlayment Patch and Skimcoat. Will the remaining adhesive residue be a problem? I have scraped on it with a 4' razor for hours and used warm water, heat etc. It's impossible to get the rest off with that method. The thin-set I'm gonna use is BondFlex from Homedepot.

2. Under the toilet there is some kind of wood as you can see in the picture. Will the Henry skimcoat or BondFlex stick to that?

Thanks,
Kristian

Old 11-20-14, 03:45 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I would not skim coat with Henry Feather Finish. It would just lend another layer of possible failure to your installation. Do your best to get the adhesive up without chemical means. Look at it this way, if it is well adhered now, it should be well adhered after the thinset. I would also probably not use a bondflex mortar as you are on concrete. Bondflex is more of a modified thinset for use over a wood substructure.

Old 11-20-14, 10:43 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay thanks, the reason why I wanted to do a skimcoat first is because the surface isn't super smooth and the wood under the toilet is a tiny bit higher than the concrete. But it's fine just to add the thin-set and a Ditra membrane directly on without smoothing the surface first?

Old 11-21-14, 03:37 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Ditra is an uncoupling membrane. It is used in concrete slab applications if you fear movement in the slab will have adverse effects on the bond with the tile. If your slab shows no signs of movement (cracks), then bonding direct to the slab will save you some money. If you feel the need to smooth your floor out first, use a concrete primer and self leveling compound. However, you install the tile with a minimum 1/4" notched trowel so that minor variations due to the glue will be more than bridged by the thickness of the mortar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: