How to Install / Grout Top Trim Wall Tile

Old 11-14-14, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Install / Grout Top Trim Wall Tile

I am very new to tiling (this will my first project), and I have a question about wall tile that I can't seem to find the answer to (probably because it's so specific).

If I am planning to tile a floor and wall in a small bath, and planning to tile the wall up to about chair rail height, how is thin set and eventual grouting handled for that last row (whether chair-rail profile or plain rounded edge) where it meets the painted wall. Will my layer of thin set need to be spread differently (or lightly back-buttered), etc?

And, I see lots of how-to info on grouting techniques, where I should be wiping that grout in with a grout float, then brushing off the haze with a sponge, etc., but what about that last row? How is the grout spread in that final row for a neat clean look.

Finally, related to that, is the preferred approach to paint the wall first, or paint after tiling?

Sorry in advance for the novice questions.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-14, 08:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Paint the wall first, why fight having to cut it in?
There should be no grout used at the top of the trim piece. If there's any gap caulking is used.

Old 11-14-14, 08:47 AM
I would just simply mask off the area above top row. You can then either trowel on the thin set or butter the backs, whatever you feel comfortable with.
Upper row can be grouted as normal. Only difference is you may want to add grout where bullnose meets wall, almost like caulking. You can again tape off upper area and apply grout with finger.
I don't know where you live. In my area, we have large tile stores that sell everything. I can purchase caulk that matches any grout color, sanded and non-sanded, it comes in handy.

Old 11-14-14, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
paint the wall first, or paint after tiling
It's almost always best to paint first, you might have to do some paint touch up after the tile install but that generally only takes a minute or two.

Old 11-14-14, 01:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I must be the only backwards thinker. You can pre-paint the wall, but final coat after the tile. Reason being that it is near impossible to pull a perfect end grout line. I also go over with color matching caulk, which always leaves a mess of sorts, and the final coat of paint allows you to pull a perfect cut line and finish off the job to a professional level.

BTW- you use bull nose to finish a tile wall. It has a polished end instead of a square end so give a nice smooth transition.

Old 11-14-14, 01:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I've always painted the bath rm prior to tile installation on new construction and while there is some touch up - generally it's not bad although I have run across a couple of 'tile setters' that were absolute pigs causing me to more/less repaint the bath rm ... but they were the exception, not the rule.

Old 11-18-14, 09:56 AM
Thanks, everyone! This is really helpful.

Wish me luck!