Bathroom Floor Tiling/Tub Question

Old 11-26-14, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Floor Tiling/Tub Question

Greetings. I'm new to the site.

I am currently going through an entire bathroom remodel. We found severe mold due to a tub that was installed completely wrong. The mold has been cleaned up, carpentry work replaced, and my tub will be installed on monday.

I will be doing the tiling myself. I have enough skill and knowledge to do it. I will be using plank style tiles that look like wood. My question is this:

the tub that will be installed is a 36" soaker tub, that has a removable front apron on it.

I am unsure on this point how to tile up to it. Do i just tile up to it, and then use caulk rather than grout like you would usually do, and if i ever have to remove the apron for maitence, just re-caulk?

Here is a picture of what the bathroom looks like currently.Name:  IMG_2285.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  23.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-14, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tile is never grouted where it meets a right angle or comes in contact with a different material, always caulked.
I've never seen a tub with a panel that came all the way out to the outer edges, got a picture, web site, something so we can see it?
What is it your tiling with those planks, floor, tub walls?
If it's the tub walls I'd be concerned with how that going to look with all the short cuts on the two short sides. Hold it up there and look at it before cutting anything to see how it's going to look.

Old 11-26-14, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
A link to the actual tub with cut away of the skirt would re-assure us of the answers we are giving, but from what you describe, your plan sound correct. Tile up to the tub and finish with caulk. The question is how to extract the apron and can it be partially captured behind tile and still be removed. That is why I request a link for verification. It may also be wise to choose a grout and caulk color that will be timeless and never be discontinued in the future. So future removals can be re-caulked without issue.

Old 11-28-14, 02:10 PM
tub pic

Here is a photo of the tub. the only difference is this tub will not be jetted.

Name:  IMG_2258.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  24.8 KB