Tile a free-floating square base on carpet, for fireplace

Old 12-05-14, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile a free-floating square base on carpet, for fireplace

Hey gang,

I'm pulling out an old fireplace (see picture). It's going to leave a gap in the carpet that I want to tile. A new (and much smaller) gas stove will then sit on the tiles.

Name:  fireplace.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  50.2 KB

I've never done tiling before. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My plan is:

1) Build a temporary rectangular wood frame out of 1x1, and screw it to the subfloor. It will go just under the edges of the carpet, framing the work area.

2) Tape / mask off the open edges of the carpet to avoid getting mortar on it

3) Tile the inside of my wood frame: Mortar subfloor, bed & screw down the backerboard; mortar and bed ceramic tiles, using the 1x1 frame as the edge

4) Remove the 1x1 frame, trim carpet so it's flush against edge of tile

Does this sound like a good plan? Do I need to do any tricks to keep the mortar from sticking to my temporary wood frame?

Thanks!
-Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-14, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What you propose will work. Just make sure your tiles will fit in the frame evenly, just to keep from having to cut tiles. Use a dry layout of tile to determine where the frame will go. Making the frame a little larger to accommodate tile size makes it look better and a lot less work.

Old 12-06-14, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I know Larry is not a carpet guy, so, I would peel back the carpet, install your Hearth, and then re-install the carpet to fit snuggly around the new platform. Lift the carpet and peek under with a small hand held mirror and see if you can locate any carpet seam. If they run parallel to the staircase behind the unit, release the seam and simply fold the carpet back into the room.

Old 12-06-14, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys!

I like the idea of extending the size of tile area, so that i don't have to cut any tiles, because I'm lazy. But it makes the area a little larger than I'd like, using 12" tiles, so I might end up with half-tiles on the sides.

I thought of a few more questions.

Is there any reason I that porcelain or ceramic would be better for this application? I foresee ski boots and other things being set here to dry, and the fireplace is about 350 pounds, so I'm thinking porcelain might provide better durability.

Do I really need to create a temporary wood frame for my work area? Some videos I saw make it seem like I can just snap a line on the subfloor, and work right up to the line, and that's good enough.

I had some questions on how to cut and finish the carpet edge, but I'll post on the carpet forum for that. Thanks for your help!

-Jeff

Old 12-07-14, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Provided your carpet is thick and plush enough, you could simply screw down 1/4" hardi backer set in a mortar bed directly to the subfloor and tile on tip of that. In your other post, I suggested the use of Schluter strips to dress up the tile edge. Of course, that would depend on how stiff your subfloor is and weather you need to build it up or not. If it is not stiff enough, you could have issues with your tile down the road.

If you properly protect your tile edges, you can use either ceramic or porcelain tile.

Old 12-07-14, 02:21 PM
Yes, it sounds like a Schluter strip will help doctor it up a bit; not sure if I can get these at Home Depot, or if I'd have to go to a tile specialty shop.

I might just rent a carpet kicker too - there's a tool rental place that is a 2-minute walk from my front door, which is kind of nice, so why not.

This should be a fun little project, and it's all coming up in a few years anyway when I do hardwood, so it's not a big deal if I botch it.

Old 12-07-14, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, Depot carries Schluter strips - at least the basic profile. They are identified by the following which is dependent on how thick your tile is - A80, A100, A120. The higher the number the deeper the flange on the strip to stay even with the tile edge. May want to rent a carpet "Stretcher" in addition to the kicker as noted by Sam in your other thread.

Old 12-07-14, 05:11 PM
Ok great, thanks for the details on the Schluter strips!