Retiling bathroom floor - removal

Old 01-08-15, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retiling bathroom floor - removal

I am retiling a guest bathroom floor. The tiles are 2x2 ceramic on cement board. I started demoing them with a hammer. They come off not too hard.

However, I had my entire ceiling redone in the living room below. It is wood truss construction between floors. I noticed a can light over the fireplace had come out of the sleeve. I am wondering if excessive pounding will cause damage to the drywall below from the vibration.

I am also wondering if/how to get every last bit of thinset up or how much I need to get up before retiling.

Would it be easier to cut out sections with cement board and all and replace the cement board?

The whole floor area is around 7x5.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-15, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Yes, too much pounding can shake things loose and cause damage elsewhere. Personally I think slinging a hammer and bashing things is mainly done on TV shows for dramatic affect. I use a flat hoe, scraper or broad chisel held at a shallow angle to get under the tiles and pop them up.

Old 01-08-15, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Remove any large bumps in your thinset so that it is relatively smooth with trowel marks. Use a 3" stiff putty knife and a hammer and hit across the bumps. You mainly want to knock down any thinset that oozed between the tiles and in set higher than the normal trowel marks. Use a primer to prepare the floor and then trowel on (with the flat side) some self leveling compound. It will smooth the divots made be the demo and trowel marks and give you a good smooth floor to work with. The primer is found with the self leveler in the tile department at the box stores.