Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Lurker needs help. Laying hardi backer entry into room Tile / Wood floor.

Old 02-03-15, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I would like to say hello to all! I am a long time lurker and a new poster to the forum. I just bought a house and started doing some work on it and this site has helped me a TON! I can not say that enough in all honesty but I think I got myself into a pickle with this one.

Here is my delima. I have a small bathroom I thought I would tile for the wife. Never laid a tile in my life and did some reading well today I started to lay the hardi backer and thin set. Well I get done and the wife walks in and says "Whats that gap" I totally missed it. I knew I had to leave 3/4 an inch for the threshold but 3 inches!!!!!!!! My heart sank. I tried to cut a 1 1/2 - 2 inch piece of backer and put that down but all it did was crack when I tried to fasten it. So what do you fellow forum friends think I do now? Please don't tell me I have to tear it all out I would cry like a baby. If I have to I will but only if I have no other choice. Please any help would be great. Here are a few pictures of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-15, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
I've had luck treating it like you would a piece of wood. Pilot drill and counter sink holes for your mounting screws and it will greatly reduce the likelihood of it splitting or breaking. But... I would cut a new sheet or somehow to redo it so you don't have that strip right in front of the door. A little strip along the wall behind the toilet is one thing but right there at the door threshold is the most heavy use and critical area. That area must be sound and solid or you'll have tile and grout cracking especially if you are using a smaller tile. You get more leeway with larger tile but it's a risk.

Old 02-03-15, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 311 Posts
Welcome to the forums.... officially.

I'm a little lost.... we're looking at the floor but I see mollies ?

Did you already install tile and do you mean cement board as the backer ?

Old 02-04-15, 06:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd be removing that wooden transition strip, under cutting the door stop moulding, and installing a wood or marble threshold.
Easiest way to remove the wood strip is cut it in half with an oscillating saw and pop it up.
PS: If you predrill a hole in the tile board with a masonry bit then use galvanized roof nails instead of screws it will not crack.

Old 02-04-15, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
If you don't have a mason bit, I cut the head off of a roofing nail and use the nail to drill pilot holes. Copy Joe on the use of roofing nails to install the strip to keep it from cracking. Don't forget to mud and tape the seam to marry this strip to the larger room.

Old 02-04-15, 08:24 AM
When I ripped out the bathroom it had vinyl flooring with an OSB subfloor. I was told that I needed to lay hardie backer board with thin set under it and that's how far I got so far. The room had 2 transition strips one of which was on the vinyl flooring in the bathroom and removed and the one leading into the bathroom from the wood floor is still on the floor as seen in the picture.

The only thing I have do so far is thin set under the backer board with the hardi screws. I have not laid any tile yet. When I laid the thin set and backer board I thought that little piece would hold but it kept cracking every time I put the screws into it. You think the pre drilled holes are going to hold it? I know I have to seal the gaps and have the material to do so. I would run the tile all the way to the wood floor but it will be about 1 inch taller and would need a transition that's why I did not tile right up to the wood. How much of a gap do I need to leave for a transition 3/4 and inch?

I am also going to be using a pretty big tile. Its the tile that looks like wood floor and is 4 inches wide by 22 long I believe.

Old 02-04-15, 02:03 PM
Use roofing nails, no screws as mentioned. Remove the reducer and install a marble threshold or alternatively do it like this; Then add a shoe molding to match the wood.

Jaz

Jaz Name:  100_1164.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  27.2 KB