Will the particle board dry or did I damage it?

Old 02-09-15, 06:31 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will the particle board dry or did I damage it?

Hi,
Hope this is the proper area to post & please excuse me for being an idiot.

Friday I pulled the dishwasher out to run Romex thru the wall behind & left it out for the weekend while out of the house. Apparently I did not get the water shut off all the way & when returned home last night discovered it had been dripping & the particle board was wet.

It doesn't look warped yet, will let it dry for another day. Actually it dried out some over night. The picture is from just now & you can see where it was wet just 12 hours ago all the way into the back right corner.

Is there any way I can tell if it needs to be replaced? A method to determine if it has been damaged too badly.

Is there anything I can put down to prevent mold?

Name:  IMG_20150209_064501.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  41.9 KB

thank you

Old 02-09-15, 06:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As you know water a particle board don't play well together. If you tap it with a hammer does it feel solid or weak, if the latter - it should be replaced. Mold needs moisture, heat and food source. Remove any 1 of the 3 and it won't grow. A solvent based coating applied to the PB would make it harder for it to absorb moisture.

Old 02-09-15, 06:49 AM
W
Yes it does feel solid everywhere except the middle, where I think it was wetted the most, which is still moist and has a bit of a rubbery feel when tapping with a hammer. Live in Denver, pretty dry here, especially now. Cold too.
Perhaps I should wait until tomorrow & give it another tap test. It should be completely dry by then. Afraid some of the water seeped under the sink cabinet to the left. That will be more difficult to inspect. Altho that a has more solid feel to it than the middle.
Thank you for the tip on solvent based coating.

Old 02-09-15, 07:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Particle board generally swells when it's exposed to water which is usually the 1st indication that it's strength has been compromised. Ideally you'd rip out all the PB and replace with plywood or OSB but it's understandable to just want to repair the affected area if need be. At least the damage isn't in an area that sees traffic.

Old 02-09-15, 07:22 AM
W
OK. Think I'll wait another day before deciding what to do.
I wouldn't say it's swollen anywhere except the middle portion or ridge. Guess that's swollen?

Still hoping it will completely dry out & I can avoid tearing out the floor. Usually when I try to avoid doing the right it ends up being wrong

Old 02-09-15, 09:09 AM
W
My neighbor who, loaned me the metal wire snake, just reminded me that he noticed the ridge on Friday. It just wasn't as noticeable when dry. I too remember that now. So apparently that area has been wet before. Had to be more than 15 years ago, we've been here for a decade & half.

Old 02-09-15, 10:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to say without being on site to inspect it but sometimes it's better to play it safe than be sorry later. IF the particle board fails, it will crumble to pieces. That doesn't mean the dishwasher will fall thru the floor [the joists will catch it] but it might not be pretty! I wouldn't be leery if the PB feels solid but if there is any doubt - replace it.

Old 02-09-15, 02:32 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Particle board turns to oat meal if it gets wet even once.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: