Bathroom Shower Pan Question

Old 02-09-15, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Shower Pan Question

I am remodeling a basement shower and ceiling height is a huge concern. Is it possible using the actual basement floor instead of mudding a shower pan? Could i use redgard membrane over the floor then tile over it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-15, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
No. You need to have a slope to the drain, so you either need a pre-formed pan or a mud job pan of some sort.

Old 02-09-15, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
The only time I've seen the concrete floor used as the shower pan, it was formed out and poured lower than the rest of the floor - when the concrete was initially poured. How much height do you have to work with?

btw - welcome to the forums Jason!

Old 02-09-15, 02:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
What are the height restriction that you are worried about? If it is that tight, why bother with a bath or a shower for that matter? Are you trying to make livable space down there? Is there proper egress in case of emergencies? Sorry for all the questions, but we need to wrap around your project to give worthwhile advice.

You say that you are remodeling, so there was something existing. Fill us in on more specifics and details. Pictures always help to tell the story. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 02-09-15, 05:49 PM
Sorry for the late response. The height right now without the pan and the tile is 76 1/2". The shower is plenty big enough if there is an emergency. The problem is that I am 6'4 and would like to take a shower without my head to an angle.

Old 02-10-15, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Wow that really isn't tall enough for a comfortable shower The only way to gain height that I know would be to cut out and lower the floor .... and I'm not sure an extra shower is worth that effort.

Old 02-10-15, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
What is above the area? How big are the floor joists? You are taller than the space, don't see how you can do anything without bending over. And just to clarify, the 76 1/2" is from the slab to the bottom of the ceiling joists? or is it to the top of the existing tile? or to the shower head itself?