Crack between shower floor tile

Old 02-09-15, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crack between shower floor tile

Hi all,

I have small tiles on my shower floor in an upstairs bathroom (picture below). The grout between the tiles is about 1/8". I noticed that we had two hairline cracks form on different sides of the shower stall on the floor between the tiles. When the shower floor is dry, pressing on the tiles on either side of the crack causes the tiles to give slightly at the crack and a little water pushes out of the crack.

I don't have any experience with tiles and shower floor construction. From what I saw online and was told at Home Depot, before taking any crazy measures like replacing all of the tiles, I should try to regrout the floor. Based on the gap between the tiles, I bought nonsanded grout. Thought I would check in here before starting the project.

Would regrouting the entire floor be sufficient to fix this kind of crack? Should I take out some of the old grout before laying the new? Is the fact that water is trapped under the floor in one area a big problem that needs to be taken care of prior to regrouting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  2015020895165356.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  20.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-15, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it's moving at all there's major issues under that tile.
No way is adding more grout going to fix anything. Just going to crack again.
Sure looks like there's a big hump in that floor in that picture.

Old 02-09-15, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Water is not a tremendous problem under the tile as it can be carried to the weep holes of the drain. Being LOOSE is a problem indicating they were not adhered properly to the shower base. This brings to light how was it built? Was a proper PVC liner used? Was a pre slope and sloped base built to accommodate the drainage? What did they use to adhere the tile? Mastic or thinset.

Old 02-09-15, 05:25 PM
I wish I could answer those questions. We bought the house about 8 months ago. The guy who owned it was a contractor who specialized in bathrooms and kitchens. My hope is that he did the installation correctly. There's no hump in the tile, but the water does collect more on one side than the other, so there is a small slant - not anything that can be felt when standing in the shower, just guessing based on the water. Should I open it up completely then and replace the tile to be safe? Was hoping this would be a high $ project but want to do it right.

Old 02-09-15, 07:46 PM
I have my doubts that the problem is just tiles that are not stuck well. It's more likely that the deck mud has cracked.

Jaz

Old 02-10-15, 03:09 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I must have posted my response during maintenance last night, and it didn't grab. I don't see any way to know what the real problem is unless you do some exploratory surgery by removing tiles to see if it is just the tiles or if the pan is cracked or not laid properly.

Old 02-10-15, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to find some time to check this out in greater detail.

Old 02-10-15, 06:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
It is possible that the tile did not grab to the thinset during construction. What is holding it in place could be the mesh fabric that was on the back of the sheet of tile. It also could be that it is a Kerdi shower and the wrong thinset was used. However, the hump would indicate that it is not a kerdi install. Speculation, that's all. The concern of course is that there is movement so a simple re-grout will do nothing.

If you tap on the tile with the handle side of a screwdriver, how many tiles sound hollow. Is it just a couple or a whole bunch?

And lastly, can you back up and take a wider picture of the whole shower and bath so we can get a better feel for the construction techniques? Sometimes a bigger picture shows us thing a zoom in can't.