How long before putting hot water tank back on tile floor

Old 02-09-15, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long before putting hot water tank back on tile floor

I am remodeling my laundry room and am putting new tile in. I will be using Ditra as an underlayment, putting down ceramic tiles. My question is this, how long should I wait before putting hot water tank back in? With Ditra, I know I can lay the Ditra and set the tiles immediately. I have to wait 24 hours for the grout.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-15, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard to say cuz things like this are never tested, how could one test this, too many variables. I would want to wait a week and be careful.

Jaz

Old 02-10-15, 06:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
I like to let tiles sit 24 hours before light foot traffic (for grouting). Then I give the grout a day before going back into the room. A week for everything to cure more would be best especially if your water heater has feet that will concentrate it's weight on just 3 or 4 points. But... when doing construction or remodeling having a week is a rarity so I usually go two days and have not had trouble. Just be mindful that the thinset is still not up to full strength so no dropping heavy items or pounding on the floor.

Old 02-10-15, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
If I remember correctly I tiled and grouted my WH closet one day and installed the WH the next .... but it is a small closet, no traffic just the weight of the WH sitting on it. Still looks good 2-3 yrs later.