Non-sanded grout used on floor (mosaic) - total tear out?

Old 02-22-15, 01:22 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Non-sanded grout used on floor (mosaic) - total tear out?

I've been told that the wrong type of grout was used on my bathroom floor -- non-sanded instead of a sand-type mix. The grout itself appears to be sound, but it is a pain to keep clean, as the grout attracts dirt. Since the floor is mosaic, there are hundreds of grout lines throughout, so scraping and reapplying is not an option.

Is the only solution to tear out the mosaic and start again?

Old 02-22-15, 01:31 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Generally speaking, you do want a sanded grout on the floor because it is more resistant to movement and cracking, however, there are limits to how small a grout line you can use sanded in.

With mosaic tiles, the grout lines are usually quite small (1/8" - 1/16"), and this is not big enough for sanded grout. If there is no cracking in the grout lines then I think the grout is right for the application.

If it were me, I would clean it all very well, and put a good quality sealer over it. That will keep it clean.

Old 02-22-15, 01:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sanded or Non-Sanded, it will get just as dirty. Is it a relatively new floor, or a 1950's vintage mosaic that you really would like updated? If new, then clean as best you can and get a high quality grout sealer (in the tile dept at the box stores), put it in a spray bottle and wet the floor with it. Let sit for a few minutes and wipe it clean. Don't let it dry on the tile itself, so stand by and don't forget to wipe it clean. The grout will only absorb so much sealer, so give it a 2nd coating and you should be fine.

If on the other hand, it is really old, and you want to replace, then that is a project we need to plan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: