Forgot to mist when laying cement board

Old 04-10-15, 09:53 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forgot to mist when laying cement board

I'm going to tile my bathroom floor. The section with tile will be about 4x5'. I put down the cement board into thinset last night, but realized I forgot to mist the back of the board with water. I also applied some mortar over the screws and the on joint where I applied mesh tape. Will that have much effect on the final tiling If I remember to mist when applying the tiles?
I would think with the thinset being just a filler under the board rather than as an adhesive it's not as critical. Would that be the case?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-15, 12:37 PM
J
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
I've never "misted" it. and never had a failure.

Old 04-10-15, 02:07 PM
J
Who told you it's a good idea to mist the back of the CBU just before setting it into fresh thinset mortar? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a tile setter or the manufacturer of the CBU or the thinset.

Jaz

Old 04-10-15, 02:26 PM
W
I've seen it on a few sites. The argument was something about lightly misting the surface of the board to keep it from sucking some of the moisture from the mortar before it cures. One of them was the Lowes site, which while the "sales guy" at those stores often say weird things the websites are usually more reliable. It did say in warm weather so it may really mean warm and dry.

Old 04-10-15, 02:46 PM
The good news is you taped the joints and applied some mortar. You're done in my opinion and did something that many overlook.

Old 04-10-15, 02:56 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
When ever you read (paraphrase) " the sales guy at X store told me..." run away. Ten times out of ten, the information is wrong. On rare occasion you get a person that used to do installations, but most likely, you get the guy that was hired last week who only is following what the other guy who was hired the week before told him during training.

What you did was correct and spot on. Don't mist the back of the tile either. In fact, if I don't wipe the tile completely dry after cutting with a wet saw, I can't back butter the tile as the thinset just slides off.

Old 04-10-15, 03:07 PM
W
Glad I asked. It's the little details that are a pain to sort through, but it's how I learn.

Old 04-10-15, 04:24 PM
J
Absolutely no reason to mist the back of the board. Misting the front just before you apply thinset however is a good plan. Actually they want you to sponge the board not mist, but everyone wants to find a faster way. This will help extend the open time of the thinset a bit.

You will learn not to ask those nice people with vests any important questions cuz they usually don't know much more than your barber.

Jaz