How can I tile a shower if it's not plumb?

Old 04-16-15, 09:33 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I tile a shower if it's not plumb?

Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about. Shower has been kerdied (by me, i suck, i know). Any suggestions would be appreciated. For the bench (bottom left pic), at least, I think i know why those dont line up: i had to cut a corner out of the foam base and since it slopes the angle is slightly different, which leads me to believe I'd have to cut them on the bottom at an angle to get them to line up.

What the heck should I do?! I guess i could get them to line up a bit better once they're adhered to the wall (they're at a slight angle since they're leaning against the wall), but still, not plumb. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-15, 05:42 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Your grout lines are always straight, so follow them, not the tile itself. Therefore, start with less than a full tile in the corners and along the base. Keep the grout lines plumb and level and cut to fit the corner. Make sure you draw a vertical plumb line and start your tile from the furthest measurement. All other tiles along that line will be cut to fit into the corner. For the front of the bench, start with a full tile centered left to right. Then cut the side wings to fit the shape.

Name:  Rpgers photo 15.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 04-26-15, 11:56 AM
A
Wow, you did a great job there, thanks for the advice! Not sure mine will be anywhere near that nice. I still dont understand how, if the corners are not square, i can get everything to line up like that. Unless I like cut the tile at an angle where it meets the corner, how could I ever get them to have uniform grout lines in the corner?

Old 04-26-15, 03:28 PM
J
Plumber,

I knew I had answered your question, but couldn't find it. Now I realize I answered at the other forum.

If a wall or both are not plumb, you have to cut accordingly. Checking plumb is the first thing we do to figure what's going on and how to attack the job. In the old days the walls would be mudded to make them plumb, but not so much these days cuz of $$$.

Please ask any question you may have. Explain the deal and add a pic so even I can figure it out though.

Jaz