Need recommendation on trowel size

Old 04-23-15, 10:27 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need recommendation on trowel size

I am installing 2" x 8" glass subway tiles (so a little thicker than your typical subway tile) on a shower wall. Any recommendation on trowel size? Looking around online it seemed like 1/4" x 1/4" square notch but that seemed a little big to me. Not sure if that was for 8" square tiles or for something smaller like what I am using.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-15, 11:22 AM
J
2x8 is still 8", plus you said it's thicker than normal, but not how thick. Glass is also flat on the back unlike manufactured tiles. 1/4x1/4 may be too thick, but depends on how you mix the mortar and how you hold your weapon.

"notch will leave about 3/16" or less of mortar height. I might wanna have a slightly small notch handy. Which specific mortar are you using? Are the tiles opaque or translucent, do they have an attached backing.

Jaz

Old 04-23-15, 12:17 PM
J
I'd say it's 1/4' thick. About the thickness of a standard 12" x 12" porcelain floor tile. Translucent with a white backing so the mortar lines don't show through the glass. The mortar I believe is a modified thinset from Maipei, white. I could give more details on that later when I get home.

Thanks.

Old 04-23-15, 12:40 PM
J
" is very thin for standard porcelain tiles.

The mortar I believe is a modified thinset from Maipei
Mapei

It better be modified. I just wanna make sure it's rated for glass, not all modified mortars are.

I could give more details on that later when I get home.
Ok.

Jaz

Old 04-23-15, 05:39 PM
J
Just checked. Tile is 1/4" thick. As far as mortar, apparently I never actually bought any a month ago when I bought everything else and what I have leftover from another project is not the right stuff. It's Maipei polymer-enriched thin set (not sure if polymer-enriched is the same as latex fortified). The bag lists everything but glass (natural tile, quarry tile, saltillo, ceramic, porcelain) and actually says on there "Not recommended for glass". Guess I'm going to the tile shop tomorrow

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-23-15, 06:18 PM
J
What I meant about the thickness was that " glass is decent quality, " porcelain tile is on the thin side. But hopefully they're close.

Enriched, Enhanced, latex etc. comes down to the same thing except that some are better than others.

Jaz