Tile on Plywood rules?

Old 04-24-15, 06:37 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile on Plywood rules?

Hi everyone,

I recently remove vinyl tile flooring in my house for two reasons.

First, didn't like it and wanted to place some tile in kitchen and bathroom.

Second, the floor was very squeaky in spots.

My questions are the plywood subfloor in spots is a little beat up in some spots there is adhesive sticking to the subfloor.

What is the best course of action at this point to patch up or fix the floor so that I can get it read to lay my new tile? Does it make sense to remove a piece of subfloor and put a new one if the floor is really bad?

Also, to eliminate the squeaking should I just go through it and screw the subfloor into my joists every X inches?

Thanks

Old 04-24-15, 09:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi Eagle,

You definitely can not just go direct over what you have since it's just the subfloor, even if you're able to repair what's bad. I can't tell how bad it is, but maybe you can upload some pics.

You may have to remove part of the subfloor or all of it. Or maybe just repair it and then install another layer of underlayment grade ply, followed by a concrete backer board or a membrane such as Ditra. We need more info and some pic if possible.

Also before anything else we need to determine if we think your floor structure is suitable for tiles in the first place. Go in the basement and tell us: the size of the joists - on center spacing to the next joists - the unsupported span of the longest joist. Also see if you can spot any markings that tell you their species and grade. Inspect to judge if they're in good condition. The tell use what's over the joists and its thickness. Any other info you can think of.

Tell us the type and size tiles you're planning your plans to how you're gonna do this. Let's start with that.

Jaz

Old 04-24-15, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Eagle are you installing ceramic tile or vinyl tile?

Old 04-24-15, 01:13 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Did you remove the 1/4" plywood underlayment that is found beneath the vinyl tiles you removed. That thin plywood will have to come up and thicker material will most likely be put down after you answer some of the questions that Jaz has posed. It should leave you with a single layer of plywood.

Here is how to include pictures so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: