Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for fixing tiled bathroom wall after removing radiators

Old 05-02-15, 03:47 PM

Hello All,

Been renovating a 1950's era house and had to remove the boiler and radiators due to bad leaks. We have two heat pumps so that isn't a problem. What we are doing, however, is trying to refinish the walls where the recessed radiators where. My talented contractor has done a bang up job filling in and refinishing the holes on the plaster walls but we are at a loss on what to do with the tiled bathrooms. it isn't an option to gut the bathrooms so we are scratching our heads on how to "fix" these cutouts. Finding the 50's era tiles seems far fetched so I'm posting some pictures to see if anyone has encountered this or if someone might have a clever idea. The pictures I posted tell the story.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions!
BrunoName:  IMG_0436.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  27.4 KBName:  IMG_0438.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  38.1 KBName:  IMG_0439.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  32.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-15, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! What is the exact measurement of the wall tiles? Are they one of the 78,000 shades of white? We'll have ideas, but we need to know if it will work.

Old 05-02-15, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chances are that you CAN find a close match to the off white that you have there. If not, it will be a close match. There is ice white, snow white, etc. Visit a tile store and get samples to test. What you will have a harder time doing is matching grout. The grout you have is quite muddied and needs to be bleached back to its white roots. But for now, try to match the tile. You may end up with a slightly larger grout line to get the rows to match up, but is feasible. You'll want to use "wedge spacers" and stack or turn them to keep the consistent grout line. The rest is to build out the wall such that cement backer and tile match what you have now with the rest of the wall. Will take a detailed contractor, but can be done, and I have done it in the past.

Old 05-02-15, 07:14 PM
chandler,

Thank you for your welcome and what a great website!

The tiles are 4 1/4" square but are of a vintage that I'm reluctant to even try this route. One day I hope to demo the bathroom and start again so am hoping to find a solution that looks "OK" for now. Thinking of cutting out that one wall and putting in GWB or something to give it a consistent look. The problem with the tiles is more than just the white ones. The black tiles at the bottom will be the worst to try and find. Anyway, thank you for responding...

Bruno

Old 05-02-15, 07:20 PM
czizzi,

Thank you for your reply. Please also see post to chandler.

Looking for solution without going on a painful search for tiles to match. Been wondering if anyone has made a cubby hole in such a space or used bead board or something to provide a temporary solution until the bathroom can be gutted. Just trying to come up with something that won't break the bank. We spent an unexpected $7K removing the boiler and radiators so are struggling a bit.

Thanks again,

Bruno

Old 05-03-15, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suppose you could just use some painted plywood to cover the hole Personally I don't think it would be that big of a deal to find tile that is close ..... and you never know for sure if the proposed gut/remodel will happen in a timely manner.

Old 05-03-15, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
4 1/4" tile is quite common. All you need to do is like Z suggested, remove the cut tiles, build out the opening to accommodate 1/2" cbu, thinset and tile, then apply tiles, adjusting as you go for a nice look. Depending on when you plan your remodel, you have some time to look at ugly if you don't do something aesthetically pleasing. Black tile are common. Matching the offwhite tile perfectly is a challenge, but a bone color may give you a good match and not look too out of place. I would not go to the expense of installing bead planks, or other wood. That would really look odd in that space. But if it is something you can live with, then framing it out, installing the bead planks and trim board is an option.

Old 05-03-15, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 05-03-15, 07:37 AM
Thanks!

Thanks everyone!. I will check into the tiles and see how well we'll have a match.

Have a great day!