Is this mold or rot?

Old 05-02-15, 10:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this mold or rot?

Noticed some flaking paint in my master closet. Pulled up the rug near it and found what you see in the picture. How do you tell the difference between rotted wood and moldy wood, or does it not matter? I mean obviously there's a problem going on here somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-15, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Have you poked the wood with a screwdriver? If the wood feels solid there probably isn't any rot. Is there any odor? What is on the other side of the wall?

Old 05-03-15, 05:13 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I'm not doing well at figuring out what I'm looking at. Is the carpet over concrete? Both mold and rot usually require moisture. If that is a concrete, then that is probably the source of the moisture.

Bud

Old 05-03-15, 05:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
My eyesight isn't the greatest either
Looks like plywood to me. It's possible it go wet during construction and is nothing to worry about unless it's wet now or smells funky.

Old 05-03-15, 06:45 AM
S
It's a second floor closet adjacent to a bathroom (wood subfloor). It doesn't smell, and the wood seems strong still.

Old 05-03-15, 08:00 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Adjacent to a bathroom asks the question, is there a leak from a shower or toilet?
Since you have some of the carpet lifted and it is usually easy to put back in place, I would be investigating further. With a leaky seal on a toilet flange or through a shower enclosure you might be just seeing the tip of the problem. Best to fix it, if there is a problem, early.

Bud

Old 05-03-15, 09:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If it wasn't for the peeling paint I'd figure there wasn't an issue but I'd be investigation thoroughly to make sure there isn't a plumbing leak!

Old 05-28-15, 05:59 PM
S
OK so I got that cabinet / closet piece out, tore up the carpet, and found what you see below.

The top of that PVC tee is cracked, but it seems to me like it's above the water line and I'm not sure how it would leak. The vertical part is a vent and the part going to the left is the drain for a sink. The first picture is behind the shower. The consensus from the water cleanup guys was that this was due to condensation from the cold water pipe. I had a plumber in there and he could not find any leaks (this was when there was a much smaller hole in the wall. What do you think... could this mold be from condensation?

Old 05-28-15, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
The repair coupling on the vertical copper line along with the abandoned pipe clamps on the studs and the abandoned notches in the studs would seem to indicate that there was a rework done at some point in time. If you have not ever noticed the floor to be wet, I would suspect that this problem was fixed a long time ago and you are just finding the remnants of a past leak. The final fitting as it goes into the other room looks suspect... lots of solder there.

How long have you lived there? (built in 2002 I assume) Original carpet? Have you ever noticed it to be wet? The water below the shower head seems to be on the floor only... is there an evidence of water on the top surface of the bottom plate? If not, that would tell me a leak spread out on the bathroom floor at one point in time, seeping under the plates but not on them. The other picture seems to clearly show water was on top of the plate so maybe that was the source of a leak that flooded parts of the bathroom.

Old 05-28-15, 08:37 PM
S
House was built in '85 and we moved in in '11 and have no idea when this bathroom was redone. Nothing ever felt wet anywhere. And there aren't any stains on the ceiling beneath. I was thinking that the mold could have been from a past issue, but I wasn't sure if mold could last that long without water feeding it.

Old 05-28-15, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
I saw the 2002 stamp on the drywall and thought maybe that was the year. Mold stains the wood and carpet backing, so that is what you are seeing. As long as it's dry, the mold is dormant/dead. The color remains, just like the wood has been stained or dyed. Dormant mold does not feed on the wood so just the fact that it's there does not mean the wood is decaying.

Old 05-29-15, 02:36 PM
S
I guess I'll repair that PVC and then start using the bathroom again and monitor for any wetness.