Ditra Heat

Old 05-05-15, 01:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ditra Heat

I have read this thread and have a question when it comes to ditra.

I ended up buying the ditra membrane that you can run in floor heat cables in. Where I live the only choice I had were the 2'7" X 3'3" sheets. When I started laying these sheets I got confused because the mortar was not adhering to the fleece on the back, now I am completely green when it comes to this sort of stuff but I watched hours of videos and the process seemed doable. So, I went to the "trusted" salesman (actual tile company/business) he sold me the wrong trowel for the job. He sold me a 1/8 inch trowel for the membrane and a 1/2 in trowel for the tiles. Because I didn't know what was happening (couldn't differentiate between a 1/8 and the 1/4 inch that I actually NEEDED at the time) I tried to skim the thinset with the 1/2 inch and it was working. I figured I should stop and step back and figure what the H*. If I was smart at the time I should have pulled the 2 sheets up and cleaned up the mortar when wet....Ha yea right!! So, now that I have the rest in place perfectly and correctly my problem.... I was walking on it yesterday(have not tiled yet) and I can feel 2 bumps in those 2 sheets about the size of the ball of your foot....noticeable when walking on it but visually not so much. Ideas please! Shouldn't the Mortar fill it in? or tear it up and redo those 2? and if so, how do you get that thinset up off the plywood without damage ?

I know this is straying a little from the original post but any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-15, 06:09 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Jman - I have moved your post to start a new thread to get fresh ideas and recommendations separate from the old thread.

Can you cut into the membrane without disturbing the heating wires to lift and get some new thinset under the loose areas? What kind of thinset did you use?

Old 05-05-15, 10:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Czizzi.

I think I can cut out the bump and replace with some scrap Ditra I have laying around.
I used modified thin-set for the ditra to hold to the plywood so my next question would be removal of it without destroying the subfloor?

Old 05-05-15, 02:24 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I think you can make an "X" in the membrane, peel it back, so some scraping, add some fresh thinset and then weight it down until it sets. No need to have to cut a piece out, it should be OK to reuse as long as the fabric is still intact. Thinsets and plywood don't always play well together so you should be able to chip the old out with a stiff putty knife and a hammer used like a chisel.