Tiling/Mould/Plasterboard seeking advice

Old 05-10-15, 02:41 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Tiling/Mould/Plasterboard seeking advice

Looking for some advice please :

Been living in my home for nearly 4 years and recently started noticing paint next to on-suite shower developing small black spots. Looking at the tiling in the shower cubicle there are some small gaps in the grouting and believed water has been getting into the plasterboard/stud wall over a period of time.

Was going to fill in these gaps today until I spotted a loose tile at the bottom, I gently pulled this off to find the plasterboard behind was damaged/falling apart and completely black so this has been a problem for a while. One thing led to another and ended up pulling off half a wall of tiles with little effort and the plaster/plasterboard behind feels slightly damp to the touch. There are also black marks in between the tile adhesive on the tiles I have been removing.

This is what the wall looks like now :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...510_184504.jpg

Dilemma stage now, I think I need to remove the damaged plaster and replace with a section of plasterboard ?

Things that worry me :
1.The center wall has gaps at the bottom of the plasterboard and am slightly concerned I can see the back of the power socket/bracket/enclosure the other side of the wall/stud wall. will it be safe enough to tile and seal with silicone as before?
2.Potentially more tiles could have mould build up behind them, do I need to strip it all back to plasterboard?
3.Do I need to dry the plaster before putting tiles back up? I have heard people getting dehumidifiers is this necessary or just leave the tiles off and let it dry naturally?
4.Is this something a DIY novice can take on or should I be looking for a trades-person to tackle?
5.Can this be fixed without removing the base of the shower, i'm still hoping this can be a relatively small job.

Thanks .

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-15, 03:20 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
To be sure that the health of all who live there isn't jeopardized, I would gut the wall back to the studs & replace it with cement board. Then you can re-tile. However, that's only if you are sure that the other walls didn't suffer the same damage.

Is it a first or second floor bathroom? If it's first floor, is there access from a cellar & are there signs of a leak there? If it's a second floor bathroom, do you see spots on the ceiling, in the room below it?

Old 05-11-15, 12:29 AM
I
No signs of it downstairs on the ceiling, also it is raised off the floor and no signs of it underneath definitely. I took out the screws holding on the shower door and they are rusty all the way to the end..... more bad news I think

Old 05-11-15, 03:53 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I just looked at the pic again. I recently had job where the water ran down the hand held shower head hose. When it hit the wall, it got behind the shower body & behind the tiles. I see a hose in your pic. I would bet money, that's what happened to you. It only takes one little hole in the grout. Demolish the rest of that wall. Post what you see.

Edit: BTW, I removed the hand held shower head & installed a stationary head.

Old 05-11-15, 05:17 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I have moved your thread to the tile forum for greater exposure.

I'm afraid your shower is DOA and will need to be replaced. Forutnately, you do not have to change out the base provided that it is not leaking and the plumbing is in good order. Once the paper is compromised on gypsum drywall or plaster drywall, the integrity of the board is lost. It will crumble and nothing will stick to it. If this wall is like this, you can almost guaranty the rest are in similar shape. While this was a pretty standard way to build showers a couple of decades ago, it has been proven an incorrect way over time and most eventually fail. Therefore, prepare to remove the walls and retile. You will install a vapor barrier, cement backer board, and then your tile. It also is a good time to update your plumbing fixtures. We will walk you through the process if needed.

Can you update us on your location? This is predominately a North American site so materials may be different that what you can source in your local.

Old 05-11-15, 06:34 AM
I
Thanks for the replies so far, will get to work on the walls and post some more pics whats lurking underneath. With help from a builder and a plumber I fitted and tiled the bathroom in my previous house and remember we used concrete board, coated with pva (have since read this may not be appropriate ) and a water proof grout So comfortable with simple diy projects if this gets too much will look for a local tradesman for the difficult bits.

So far I cannot see the isolation valves for the shower water feed so may need to investigate in the loft/attic where the combination boiler lives before going on further.

Should I remove tiles from the top down or bottom up , just in case any drop into the shower Base? Think I've just answered own question there....

The water down the back of the shower could be possible not sure I can see any sealant around the shower base/tap but without isolating the water am nervous about lifting these tiles.