Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Cutting Tile w/ Dry Diamond Blade & Table Saw - How to prevent chipping?

Old 05-16-15, 04:18 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi Gys,

The tile I'm using is the kind that looks like wood flooring, but it's actually made from porcelain. I'm using dry diamond blades on my grinder and table saw, but both are leaving a lot of nicks on the top of the tile. Any tips on getting a cleaner edge? I've tried flipping the tiles over but that hasn't work. Perhaps reducing the depth of the cut so it doesn't cut all the way through the .25" thick tiles, and cutting from the back?

Anyways, any tips on dry cutting some of the 'faux' wood floor porcelain tiles to minimize the nicks on the finished cut would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-15, 04:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Cut all the way through. Do not make a shallow depth cut which at best leaves a sharp bit of tile hanging over the cut that needs to be ground off and at worst causes the tile to break where you don't want.

What does your blade look like? Is it totally smooth or does it have notches or cuts? The totally smooth type work better on tile and can produce less chipping.

Cutting tile wet also helps by keeping the cut area cool and prevent chipping due to the extreme heat of cutting. You can try different pressure/cutting speed to find one that chips less. And unfortunately there are some tiles chip a lot more readily than others.

Old 05-16-15, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
How did you get a dry diamond blade on a table saw? Was there a knockout for it? I would NEVER use a table saw to cut tile. You will find there is too much vibration in the table saw versus a wet saw, and the water helps to keep the blade cool for a smoother cut.

Old 05-16-15, 08:06 AM
J
You don't use that type of tool/blade for cuts that will be seen. Dry blades are for concealed cuts covered by moldings. You should save the critical cuts for the end, and rent a tile saw and cut them all at once.

Jaz

Old 05-16-15, 09:48 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How about a tile cutter that scores and snaps the tile. I always thought they gave a very good cut.

Old 05-16-15, 09:23 PM
J
You're right Ray, I'm hoping this side grinder (?) with a dry blade is only used for irregular cuts such as "L" and "U". I mean that's what it's for mainly. But he's cutting long tiles and sounds like he doesn't have a cutter long enough for the job. But still you wouldn't use a dry blade for cuts that will be seen. In the end you need both types of cutters.

Jaz

Old 05-17-15, 04:15 AM
J
So bottom line is if I want chip free cuts, rent a wet tile saw?

Will a wet tile saw handle a 24" long tile that has to be cut that length? They're only 6" wide, but I wasn't sure if the length would be a problem.

Old 05-17-15, 04:37 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Usually the cut can go against a wall and be covered by shoe molding.

Old 05-17-15, 05:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
No the tile saw won't allow the 24" tile in the confines between the back fence and the blade. Not even the score and break cutters will handle tiles that large, normally. As we now know you are using larger tile, buy or rent an under mount table type wet saw (<$100). That way you can use the fence like a table saw and have no restrictions on the length of the tile.

Old 05-17-15, 06:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
I have found inexpensive wet tile saws do just as good of a job as expensive ones, they are just slower. The one I have (table saw type with the blade underneath) was less than $80 at big orange. IT is similar to this: QEP Master Cut 3/5 HP Wet Tile Saw with 7 in. Diamond Blade for Ceramic Tile-60089Q - The Home Depot

Porcelain tile might be better cut with a score and snap type cutter. On the other hand, any cut you make will likely be hidden under base shoe ot other trim.