Ceramic Tiling over vinyl tiles

Old 05-24-15, 08:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tiling over vinyl tiles

In the front porch, I have peel and stick vinyl or linoleum tiles. I want to replace them with ceramic or porcelain.

Need to know if I can just tile over the vinyl or need to take them out and then throw the OSB as a base for Ceramic tiles. I would prefer to tile directly over the vinyl to save time as taking out 50 odd peel and stick tiles by heat gun would be a good half a day project.

Thanks all!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-15, 10:09 PM
J
I would prefer to tile directly over the vinyl to save time as taking out 50 odd peel and stick tiles by heat gun would be a good half a day project.
Life's a bi**h, and then you die.

What you're proposing is all wrong.

Jaz

Old 05-25-15, 04:17 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Unfortunately, you can not tile over vinyl, and you can't tile over OSB directly. Proper preparation of the subfloor, to include scrutiny of the floor joist system is very important to tile. What you propose probably would not last a year before you would start having issues. Tile is very labor intensive and as much as we all would just love to slap it down and be done, it isn't that easy.

If you would like to continue discussing how to make your tile installation a success, let us know. First bit of information we would need would be the size, spacing and unsupported span of the floor joists? If you can see them, are there any markings that say the species and grade? Additional information to include the type, thickness and number of layers of plywood/OSB currently present? This would be were we begin our discussion.

Old 05-25-15, 08:25 AM
R
I have done one other project at friend's house where linoleum tiles were removed and then the plywood/osb that they were sitting upon was used as a wooden base for the ceramic tiles. everything fine and dandy in two years and this area was the most used in the house i.e. front porch that also connected the living room to the upstairs bedrooms.

Old 05-25-15, 08:45 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
For every story that has a happy ending, there are several that did not. The advice you will get here is designed to provide for a successful installation that should last for multiple decades, not years. As a contractor, I personally will not advise that which I have seen fail and corrected many times in my professional life.