Single tile replacement in shower

Old 05-29-15, 11:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Single tile replacement in shower

I had a plumbing leak in my shower, and the plumber punched a hole through one of the tiles to find and repair it. The tiles are 8x12 and he removed most of one along with the layer supporting it (cement board?) leaving a hole in the wall looking at the supply pipes, but no studs.
I have a few tiles left over from when I redid the bathroom thankfully, but what is the best method for installing the tile?
Can I just glue some wood strips to the back of the remaining sub layer and then screw a cement board patch before putting the tile in with thinset?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-15, 03:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Probably, pics would give us a better idea of what you are working with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 05-30-15, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
While waiting on the pics, it does appear the support from behind would help hold in the new cbu. I would also tape off the existing tiles once you have your repair piece in place, and apply Redgard over the new cbu and the seams created by the plumber, to keep water infiltration down.

Old 05-30-15, 09:12 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will take a pic tonite and post it when I get a chance.
I haven't had a chance to use red guard, from pics online I can tell it is liquidish, but is it thin like paint, or more like thinset or grout? If it is like grout, I can see squeezing it into the cracks between the cement board patch and the edges of the hole, but if it is painted over the seams where the patch and hole join won't it just coat the sides and not the seam?
How long does the red guard take to dry? I have the hole currently covered with a board covered in plastic and taped at the top, and I'm worried that after removing and replacing several times water will get in when showering. Can I apply the red guard, then mortar and then grout in the same day?
When you say to tape off the tiles, is that just to protect them from scratches and excess red guard and mortar?

Old 05-30-15, 12:16 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
It will be a several day process as cement based products need time to dry.

Redgard is like a thin pudding and goes on like paint.

Get a plastic shower curtain and hang it from under the shower head all the way to the floor to keep water out of the area. Your tape will not hold long enough nor keep things dry enough if you have to use the shower during the repair.

I am leaning toward stuffing the hole with wire mesh, then forcing bed mortar into the mesh and hole screeded smooth with the surrounding and then mesh taped with thinset to bring it all together. Then, redgard over the top before tile and grout.

Note on thinset, do not get anything premixed as it is not rated for a wet shower environment.

On a side note from a contractors point of view - Plumbers are good for business....sometimes.