Porcelain tile in an elevated beach house?

Old 06-04-15, 08:30 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Porcelain tile in an elevated beach house?

In my elevated beach house, I want to replace current carpet and block tile with wood-look porcelain tile. I was told that the movement in a beach house on piers could cause the tile to buckle. I would appreciate input from those in-the-know.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-15, 09:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
Tile in beach houses is very common and I've not had any cracking in the last two which have been on stilts. Both were new builds but it may be different for a 40 year old house but there have been no issues with tile floors, granite counters and tile back splashes. I suppose it all depends on the condition of your home and the quality of the tile work, especially it's underlayment.

Old 06-04-15, 09:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
A lot depends on the size of the floor joists and how far they span along with the subfloor thickness. If the floor is stiff enough there shouldn't be any issues with tile.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 06-04-15, 12:31 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
What is block tile? What type of pier system do you have - wooden or concrete?

While I haven't tiled in a beach house, I have stayed in one that moved quite a bit. Aside from a strange feeling when the house moved, my observations were that the house moved as a whole and not as a wave (if that makes sense). Tile issues are usually related to vertical movement in the subfloor system from undersized and/or over spanned joists. Failure can also come deflection between the joists. So, as Marksr has already pointed out, we need to take into consideration what you currently have. Can you tell us the size, spacing and unsupported span of the joists system along with how thick and the number of layers of subfloor you currently have. On the chance that you have visual access to the joists, can you find any markings that would determine the species and grade of the lumber. If a beach house, it is also possible that the lumber is pressure treated, let us know that as well.