Stacked tile pattern and sliver.

Old 06-04-15, 07:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stacked tile pattern and sliver.

Folks, some advice?

I have 18.5 inch wide tiles I want to put in a stacked pattern - grout lines go straight top to bottom - on back of Tub enclosure. Enclosure is 59" wide spot on.
If my math is correct, I use 3 tiles and have about 3" left over. Would you cut the tiles into 1.5" sections and balance by putting one at each end, (which I think is the right way to do it) or just use the 3" in the busy/wet corner of the shower (which I think is the easy way to do it).

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-15, 04:01 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You want it balanced so get one smack dab in the middle to start with and custom cut the ends on both sides. I usually start slightly less than one tile up with a perfectly flat ledger board. You will probably find that the tub is not level and the walls are not plumb, so a cut to fit along all edges (tub and corners) works best.

Old 06-05-15, 06:51 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Quick suggestion: lay out your proposed pattern ~3", 18.5",18.5", 18.5"~3", and be sure that you like it, as it would be hard to change after the mastic/thinset sets.

If you don't like the look of the"slivers" (although 3" is a pretty big sliver).
Another pattern to try: ~11", 18.5", 18.5", ~11" will get you the 59 ".

Question to consider: what is happening, tile pattern wise, on the adjacent walls (the sides of the shower)? You might want to also lay out a side pattern, to see how the whole thing looks, including corners.

Good luck with your project.

Old 06-05-15, 10:15 AM
M
Mikedel, that 11/18/18/11 suggestion is a really interesting idea and one I had not considered. That's the solution! Thank you.

Old 06-07-15, 06:32 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Glad to be of help. Please let us know how it all works out.

Old 06-10-15, 05:02 PM
J
Originally Posted by mfmchen
that 11/18/18/11 suggestion is a really interesting idea and one I had not considered. That's the solution! Thank you.
Don't feel bad, most people miss doing it this way. Take the size of a tile 18.5" add the leftover space, 3.5". Take 22.0" divide by two and you get 11.0" so that's the size of the cuts. Tweak for grout line. So the center vertical line will be the center of your grout line and the ends will tweak themselves.

How about waterproofing, what type of backer and thinset do you have planned?

Jaz